Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

winter idle is higher then returns to normal

by smug, March 2, 2019

When starting cold during rude Chicago winters it fires up fine and idles. Within a few moments the idle climbs to about 2k and slowly drop down to usual idle.  If not real cold, just below or around freezing may not do it at all.  What components should i be checking.  04 115k miles, mostly self maintained, have factory manuals.  All original electrical components, sensors.  Fresh plugs.  Thanks.

Could potentially be a leak in the intake manifold.  On 9th gen Corollas like yours, there was a TSB for an updated intake manifold gasket that sealed better against the composite material, especially in cooler temperatures.

But those tend to "cycle" between fast idle and normal idle constantly.  If it is just fast idles right after starting up - but eventually coming back down to normal idle range - sounds like it could be the new normal to me.  

Noticed my RAV4 and Corolla doing that more and more when the weather is colder - chalking that up to the amount of  miles on them (almost 300k on Corolla, 105K on RAV4).

• Like 1
  • 110 posts

With manifold leak, there might also be a check engine light. 

[ATTACH]19[/ATTACH]

When starting cold during rude Chicago winters it fires up fine and idles. Within a few moments the idle climbs to about 2k and slowly drop down to usual idle.  If not real cold, just below or around freezing may not do it at all.  What components should i be checking.  04 115k miles, mostly self maintained, have factory manuals.  All original electrical components, sensors.  Fresh plugs.  Thanks.

I've heard of older Corolla engines rev-ing fast at idle when cold. Maybe they (Corollas) just do that? IDK. Btw, what year is your car?

• 320 posts

All cars rev faster when cold. 2,000 rpm is higher than normal.

Topic List