Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By autotech2612, June 10, 2018

I am unable to understand what is wrong with my Corolla this time.

Drove 5 miles one night, with 3.5 of them on the highway at 55mph.

No unusual noises, behavior, etc.

Drove to a flashing red light.  Came to a complete stop for 15 seconds.

No oil light illuminated.

Turned left and about 30 feet into driving, my car lost acceleration.  Shifting from second to third was not getting me to acceleration.  Then came to a complete stop and engine was not running.

No sounds beforehand.

Had it pushed into a gas station parking area.

Lights illuminated, including instrument lights when the key was turned to the "ON" position.

Attempting to start the car, nothing.  No noise, no attempting to start, completely silent.

In the "ON" position, the OIL light was on...and remained on.  

My car had never shown the oil light when the engine was off.

Fuel pump and starter are not at fault.  Clutch safety switch was looked at, but my friend "rigged" it so the car would allegedly start with clutch engaged or not.  

No change.  However, before the clutch safety switch was even looked at, I tried to start the car with the clutch pedal NOT depressed.  Nothing.

No oil was on the dipstick at the gas station.  I put oil in - a quart - and oil did appear on the dipstick.

In the "ON" position, the oil light is still illuminated.

I would very much appreciate advice and assistance you may offer.

Ryan

• 320 posts

Hi, Ryan. Have you checked for computer failure codes using a simple (cheap) code reader? That's always my first step. Does sound like you lost all your oil somehow — is the oil leaking out as you put it in? I once had a quick-change place “hole” my filter (they put it on with a metal wrench and tore a hole in it) which caused a rapid oil leak that was cheap to fix. The oil light seems to have gone on while you were stopped at the light, I'd think it was the oil pump but you say there's no oil, which suggests to me a massive oil leak e.g. from something popping off. 

Scanning was exactly what I wanted to do.  But, my friend removed the battery.

Knowing I would not have the check engine light, I still put the battery back in.  CEL off.

I don't leak oil, I have a tremendous burning problem.

Oil light did not come on while stopped at the light.

There was some oil in the engine, because it appeared on the dipstick after I put one quart in.  And, I heard no unusual sounds before and after I lost power.

Oil pressure sensor?  Did the ECU use its safety mode to shut down the engine and not allow re-start until it has been replaced?  

I am unable to understand what is wrong with my Corolla this time.

Drove 5 miles one night, with 3.5 of them on the highway at 55mph.

No unusual noises, behavior, etc.

Drove to a flashing red light.  Came to a complete stop for 15 seconds.

No oil light illuminated.

Turned left and about 30 feet into driving, my car lost acceleration.  Shifting from second to third was not getting me to acceleration.  Then came to a complete stop and engine was not running.

No sounds beforehand.

Had it pushed into a gas station parking area.

Lights illuminated, including instrument lights when the key was turned to the "ON" position.

Attempting to start the car, nothing.  No noise, no attempting to start, completely silent.

In the "ON" position, the OIL light was on...and remained on.  

My car had never shown the oil light when the engine was off.

Fuel pump and starter are not at fault.  Clutch safety switch was looked at, but my friend "rigged" it so the car would allegedly start with clutch engaged or not.  

No change.  However, before the clutch safety switch was even looked at, I tried to start the car with the clutch pedal NOT depressed.  Nothing.

No oil was on the dipstick at the gas station.  I put oil in - a quart - and oil did appear on the dipstick.

In the "ON" position, the oil light is still illuminated.

I would very much appreciate advice and assistance you may offer.

Ryan

I suspect it burns oil or something. My dad told me Prizms with higher mileage (they got Corolla engines) often burn oil.

Based on your narrative.....replace engine. Oil not showing on dipstick until a quart was added is sudden death for ICE. Or better yet part out the car (make a little money out of bad situation). Other alternative is junk the car. Replacing the engine will cost more than the car is worth.  TOUGH lesson learned!

Sorry for the bad news but you did it to yourself. Maybe dad can throw you a few bucks for a new ride. Pay him back cause money is hard to come by. Most folks work for it. It will make him proud of his son and all fathers glow when their children 'man up'

All the best autotech!

Topic List