Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By dcrocks, January 4, 2016

hey folks,

Im new to owning a toyota corolla. I just bought an 03 S, and its awesome in every way. A couple of the guys at the shop I bought it from said that there were some up grades that I could purchase that could increase my fuel economy to up over 50 mpg. I'm currently getting 44 mpg on the highway and 39-40 in town. For me, this is outstanding fuel economy, but if I could do better for a few hundred bux, it might be worth the investment. Could anyone suggest some of the upgrades I should be looking for?

I just put a K&N factory replacement filter in it the same day I bought it. I've been told you can get 1 or 2 mpg just with that. I gave it a tune up replaced two coil packs that were producing weak sparks. The tires are new, and properly inflated to the rating that coincides with the wieght of the car.

So I have been a Volks Wagon guy for a long time. I have modified some of them to an extreme.... I'm pushing fourty years old now and dont really want to go fast any more, I just want to get good fuel economy and take care of the car. this Corolla seems to have a lot of life left in it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ...

Dave

With the mileage you are currently getting, not much else you can do to get much better fuel economy from mods, especially if you are looking at only spending a few hundred dollars. Some aero mods might be able to eke out another 1-2 MPG - but may look a bit weird on the Corolla. Powertrain-wise, the 1ZZ-FE engine was already designed for getting great fuel economy and long intervals between service.

Only other thing that will net you more mileage is with driving techniques - they vary from subtle to extreme. Might be able to push it to 50MPG. I'll would just be happy with the numbers you are getting now - especially if you haven't changed your driving style.

Topic List