Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2015 Civic Lx Automatic Price 17714 Or 2015 Corolla Le Price 16579

By youandme, April 10, 2015

I am a fresh graduate and need a car. I don't want to repair cars always. so the reliability is my main concern. Looked for good price online(edmunds.com, autopriceshare.com, truecar.com...) for several weeks. Finally, I found some deals shared by others and autopriceshare dealers offer me the same price.

Here are my two quotas:

1. 2015 civic LX Automatic Price 17714 (base model on more packages)

1. 2015 corolla LE Price 16579 (base model + one free oil change)

Are these good deals? Which model is more reliable? I am not familiar with cars and any advices will be very helpful!

The Honda Civic LX has a MSRP of $18,490 - so the price you have is pretty decent. The Corolla LE is not considered the base model, or did you mean to type Corolla L? It is the Corolla LE, then that price is pretty good - LE trim levels start at $18,565 MSRP. The Corolla L MSRP runs $16,950. Equipment level wise - the Honda Lx and Corolla LE are pretty much tied. Note that the Corolla comes with 2 years / 25K miles of free maintenance standard, not sure what you meant by one free oil change - you get those already for that period of time.

Keep in mind, with an economy car like these, there isn't much margin to be made - so discounts are few and far between. The prices you have might be different, depending on your market - some would consider those prices high, some would see them as a good deal - all depends on where you live at. Where I live at (DC Metro area) - the Corolla LE is at a great price, but the Honda Civic LX I could get a for atleast a grand cheaper.

Reliability between the two is also a wash - these two brands have historically outlasted most of their competitors, especially at this price point. Sure there will also be some people with horror stories on these cars, but the majority have been trouble-free. Overall fuel economy, cabin size, ride, safety equipment, etc. - pretty close between these

two.

I've owned both brands over the years - can't say one is definitely superior to the other. Best bet is to see if you can get an extended test drive on both, see which one fits your body and needs the best. Also couldn't hurt to look at other competitors - these two are considered the "benchmark" for their class - but offerings from their competitors tend are pretty intense. Some, you can get more car for the money - some offer features that Honda and Toyota does not have at this price, including:

Ford Focus SE

Dodge Dart SXT

Hyundai Elantra SE

Nissan Sentra SV

Mazda 3i

Subaru Impreza 2.0i

If it was me - I would lean more toward the Honda Civic LX compared the Corolla LE - as the biggest issue would be the choice of transaxle. Civic has a conventional transaxle where as the Toyota has CVT. CVT have shown pretty decent reliability with commuter cars, having been used for decades in larger transportation trucks and busses - but the Toyota CVT just never sat well with me. If you compared the Civic LX to the Corolla L - that's a different story. Both will have 5-speed manual transaxles standard, Toyota will lose some overall content, but the core components (powertrain, airbags, ABS/ECT/EBD, LED lamps, brakes, etc.) are identical, and would be almost $1500 cheaper as well.

Another thing to factor in would be insurance costs. In my case and where I live at, the Honda's premium would run about $600-$700 more per year - that's roughly two car payments. Costs of maintenance would also be slightly higher (you don't get two years / 25K miles free like the Corolla) and depreciation for Hondas tend to be higher in my area. But like I mentioned, depends on where you live - if I moved back to the mid-eastern US - the Honda would actually be cheaper to insure and depreciate less.

Fish.....I thought the Honda comes with a CVT this year?? When I was testing them last year they said that if I wanted the 6 speed auto I better grab the 2014 as the 15 would come with the CVT.

Actually I put some decent miles on the Toy CVT and it was pretty nice....nowhere as bad as my buddies Nissan's cvt. Now how well it will hold up for sure is a concern to me.

Y&M.....one thing I would do with the Honda....having owned four of them in the later years....is drive it for a decent amount of time. I cant believe for me anyway how uncomfortable the seat still are....though the last one I put decent miles on was a 2013. Maybe the 2015's will be better. Also its a personal deal though the inside joke with some Honda owners I know is "I love my car but at times I wish I could put in your Cor's seats". I cant speak for the Toy's but my buddy said his 2014 LX info center is a pia to use at times.

You cant go wrong with either car.....both should be reliable. Good luck!

2015 Civic does already have CVT: http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-sedan/specifications.aspx

I was actually impressed by a friend's 2014 Corolla CVT's functionality and efficiency, unlike what I've seen of Honda CVT's relatively poor performance... I'm looking forward to Honda's next generation 2016 Civic coupe fastback with direct injected turbo VTEC 1.5, and 6-speed manual tranny. CVT will also be improved:

"Leveraging this new platform in conjunction with new Earth Dreams Technology™ powertrains – including a new 1.5-liter VTEC® Turbo engine with direct injection, a short-shifting 6-speed manual transmission, and a new, more sporty and efficient continuously variable transmission (CVT) – the Civic will target class-leading fuel economy ratings and fun-to-drive performance with near-luxury levels of cabin quietness and ride refinement."

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=8374-en

do the honda cvt have any reliability issues ??

If I wasn't so lazy last night I could have just looked like Dom did....it does have a CVT. I also remember the car mags testing it...one loved the Civic CVT, one hated it. Interesting.

I agree Dom....I liked the Cor CVT....at least on country roads and city driving it seemed nice but I didn't do any highway driving. How well they'll hold does have concerned.

Looking back....while I like my 2011 and got it for a real good price....maybe I should have waited abit longer and grabbed a left over 2014 LE.

I think Toyota CVT hold up well on their hybrids..

I think Toyota CVT hold up well on their hybrids..

Toyota hybrids use a planetary gear- power splitting device instead of a traditional CVT... They are easier to service. I did a complete drain and refill on Lexus CT200h, with 3.5 quarts of ACDelco Dexron VI instead of Toyota WS fluid. A chain drive CVT uses ATF of a higher viscosity.

I think 2015 civic LX Automatic is the best choise to purchase

• Smooth ride, litle noise
  • 45-mpg Hybrid model
  • Standard equipment impressive

But it is littile bit of money diffence

Good catch guys! Yeah, I should have mentioned that I was comparing the two "standard" trimmed models that were closest in price - Corolla LE with CVT standard, the Civic LX with 5-speed manual standard. But should have also mentioned that the majority of these models are found on the lot will be equipped with automatic transaxles right off the bat.

Honda really stepped up their game on interior appointments and pushing engine tech. Toyota took a big departure from their typically conservative stance with the new Corolla - which one is best, that would be anyone's guess this early.

Thanks for your help. I have got my new car. I am happy with that. thanks

Thanks for your help. I have got my new car. I am happy with that. thanks

youandme or youadult? What did you end up getting after all?

Topic List