Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Oil Filters

By Bull6791, March 31, 2015

See every reply in these pages:

Fish

For 5,000 mile oil change I am better of using OEM short filter rather than OEM tall filter

I will do what you suggested and start off with OEM short filter for 05 Corolla and 07 Camry.

Pick whatever you can get at a better price. I will say this, with 5000 miles on an oil change - that tall filter will give you NO filter media advantage - as the short filter can handle that interval without issue.

In cases where the filter clearance might be an issue - you actually could come out worse with a tall filter (ie, greater chance it could get damaged).

In any maintenance related work - always safest, best chance for compatibility and reliability to run OEM parts and fluids. If you feel adventurous or want to find out if there are better products for your car, then you have to decide what and how to change the parts.

There are a number of us on this board that run a mix of OEM and aftermarket. Some run more aftermarket than others, as they are dictated by costs, availability, or performance. Some decisions that are driven by specific needs, like extended intervals, or special circumstances like towing or driven at excessively high/low speeds - high/low ambient temps. There is no single solution that is absolutely "best" for everyone in every situation - but OEM is likely the closest one.

Topic List