Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Check Engine Light

by Bull6791, January 29, 2015

This morning on my way to work on my 2005 corolla with 97,000 miles the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT came on. This is the first time I got a CEL.

I have not had a chance to put a code reader on it. The car seems to be running great.

I wanted to know if the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT can/or could have come on due to the cold weather.

Let me know.

Thanks.

As long as the check engine light is not "flashing" - you can still drive the car normally - car shouldn't have any drivability issues at all.

As for being due to low temperatures - it is possible, depending on the cold weather. But keep in mind that these sort of engines have been tested in way more extreme environments than most people drive in.

Just get the code pulled and we can go from there.

Just asking a question: CEL came on on my drive into work today. What if I start car when I am going home and CEL is not on and stays off and never comes on again. Is that possible.

Maybe it was a fluke it came on.

I will put code reader on car.

Yes, certain CELs can turn off on their own - but the related DTC (trouble code) would still be recorded on the ECM, unless power was removed from the ECM for some reason.

FISH

So if the CEL goes off and never comes on again should I still put code reader on car.

Since I do not know what I want to know is if you have a CEL you put a code reader on car and it gives you the code.

But what I do not know is if CEL goes out on its own should you still put code reader on car or not.

Thanks.

I've already alluded to that in my last post above:

"Yes, certain CELs can turn off on their own - but the related DTC (trouble codes) would still be recorded on the ECM, unless power was removed from the ECM for some reason."

Topic List