Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Motor Ticking Sound

by cirrus, January 23, 2015

My 2011 LE went in for a dealer oil change. When I got it back I noticed...more so when first taking off...a ticking sound....like a lifter that needs adjustment. It for sure didn't do it before the oil change.

Does this engine have adjustable lifters?

The oil sticker on the window says CAM2....which can be a synthetic oil. I know sometimes syn's can cause a motor to get abit noisy for the price no way it was a syn oil. Also I don't hear just rev'ing the motor in park...needs to be loaded.

TIA

As far as I know, those engines are like their predecessors, non-adjustable lifters (buckets).

Did you double check the level of engine oil on the dipstick? Did they underfill or overfill the crankcase? Also possible that they left something (tool) on the engine, left off the oil cap, etc. - something really obvious.

Less obvious is if there is any damage to the valvecover baffle. This was an issue with the 8th and 9th gen Corollas - a technician that was not careful using the oil service gun at many quick-lube places, could end up bending the baffle down to the point where it was actually touching the camshaft.

If the noise goes away - I wouldn't worry about it too much. Engines will tick for a minute or so, until they build up enough oil pressure. A lower viscosity oil, like many synthetics, could exacerbate this ticking noise.

Since the noise is more pronounce when loaded - could be any number of things, some not very good. I'd be tempted to take it back and complain about it - at the every least, start the paperwork to indicate there was an issue immediately after the service.

FIsh....he was VERY rushed the day he did this and it did it after the oil change....so maybe it was this baffle deal.

Can I see this damage from where he puts the oil in?

I was worried it might be a head gasket. When our Ford popped its, it had a ticking like this. I only did the prelim of antifreeze color check and oil but everything looked fine.

Thanks

Unfortunately, almost impossible to tell baffle damage through the fill cap unless there is a "significant' amount of damage. Have to pop the valvecover off and flip it over to see the damage.

Definitely get the paperwork started on that - since it started immediately after the oil change, you need to get everything pointing to that. May not want them to touch the car again, but this is more of CYA, just incase there is any damage there.

Monitor oil levels, make sure the right amount of oil is in there. Note anything else out of the ordinary - leaks, odors, funny noises, etc.

There is not much you can do about a rushed tech - many have quotas that they have to meet to keep their jobs.

I went out at lunch....let it idle...don't hear much. I need to let it do when I'm driving them pull over and listen under the hood.

I looked in where the oil goes....that baffle didn't look scratched or dented....so maybe its okay.

If I go back and say it happened after the oil change I can hear it now....yea right....first its the 2800rpm vibration(which they agreed is there)...now its a ticking sound. Anything else you want is us to fix on a car you didn't buy from us?

The mechanic was only rushed as he was sitting there...while the car sat. I then finally boiled over and went to ask if they had any plans on doing my car before they closed. They said....opppps.....forgot about it. I said I'll bring it back another day but he said no way...I can get it done. They are normally a real good crew....trust me....vs the indi guys in my area who took turns almost destroying our last car these guys have been great.

Thanks

This is a lesson for everyone. People who are rushed or seem antsy or otherwise distracted are best left alone until they calm down. One has to develop the sense to know what's in the air and decide if they should stay or leave.

That's why I decided to leave and reschedule. They said NO....I said "np guys....I'll bring it back next week". But he had the keys....unless I body slammed him I wasn't getting the keys back. And he was only rushed because he sat there talking about sports and they lost track of it...not because they were overbooked. I waited 2 hours so at some point I had to say something. So not sure what lessons there are here.

Topic List