Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Serpentine Belt Tensioner And Shock

By Bull6791, December 2, 2014

Does any one know the newest part # for the latest belt tensioner. Where can I find part # on car to see what part # I have. I have had tensioner replaced before.

Also where is belt or tensioner shock located. I want to check to see if it is leaking oil on belt.

Why is gator back belt better because it had cogs that grip better into pulleys.

Thanks.

Yours should already have the updated assembly - they came out in 2005

16620-22011 should be the part number, according to the EPC, but may even be newer than that number.

For the strut, you can see it in this overview picture - looks like a little shock with a rubber boot on it.

People had good luck with the Gatorback because of the material and those biting cogs - tends to run cooler, doesn't glaze as easily or pickup contaminants.

Fish

Sorry if that picture is the serpentine belt tensioner I was thinking it was a round pulley with bearing in the middle. Now when you talk about the shock is that the same thing as tensioner bearing.

The dealership replaced my tensioner 2 times they said it was actually the bearing in tensioner that went bad. They also said there was a tsb for bearing in tensioner.

Fish is that picture a serpentine belt tensioner and the shock is on it.

Now the part # you gave me is for latest belt tensioner. To find my part # I must look on my part.

Thanks

Picture is of the serpentine belt tensioner assembly - has three distinct portions. There is a fixed pulley + bearing portion that actually the part that pushes on the belt to keep it tensioned. The middle pivot point and the metal portion. Then the "shock" like spring that dynamically maintains that tension throughout various RPMs / engine load.

You can change all the parts separately, like the dealership did with the pulley and bearing. Usually, when they go bad, it is the "shock" part that starts to leak. Bad bearing is a sign of either excessive belt tension or one of your accessory pulleys is starting to wear out (power steering, water pump, alternator, etc.) Especially if the bearing goes out twice.

Part number should be of the correct one for your car, according to the EPC. Pretty sure your model year already had the revised pulley, as that new part came out with the 2005MY. So your original one should be 16620-22011 or 16620-22012. The "new" pulley assembly has multiple numbers, but should be atleast 16620-22013. Number will be on the tensioner arm - usually on a sticker, there might be a stamp, but that may or may not have the part number on it.

TSB EG021-07 is what you want to look for to see if your car's VIN falls within the affected units.

Fish in the picture where is the bearing that goes bad and they replace. The black circle is called the pulley and the bearing is in the middle of it.

Fish or is the bearing somewhere else.

In 2007 they replaced the tensioner per TSB EG021-07. My original tensioner was 16620-22012 they replaced it with 16620-22013.

In 2009 they replaced belt tensioner again. The belt tensioner was making noise.

This time the new tensioner had 16620-0w093 part number.

Yup, that's where the bearing is. 16620-0w093 is just a newer part number for the same part.

Topic List