Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Intake Gasket

by Bull6791, November 18, 2014

At what milage should the intake gasket be replaced. I have 95,000 miles on 05 corolla and original intake gasket is fine. Should I leave it alone or replace it.

What are signs it needs to be replaced.

Leave it - only needs replacement if you suspect a vacuum leak, ie, car runs poorly.

Fish

Are there any other signs of bad intake gasket.

Other than not running well (ie, poor idle or idle fluctuations), only other common issue with this generation is running lean CEL. Most of those other issues are discussed in detail on this forum - just search for intake gaskets.

Fish

Bad intake gasket that gives you a cel code right.

My 2005 gave me a P0171 (or 0170) code....changed the intake gasket and it was gone. Car ran perfect other than that code too.

Why does the 9th generation corollas have more intake gasket problems than the 8th generation corollas.

Composite intake design - the 9th gen moved from the long runner, tubular aluminum intake setup from the 8th gen to a shorter runner, fiber reinforced plastic intake manifold.

Couple of advantages of the composite intake - easier to make, lightweight, doesn't corrode, doesn't transfer heat as readily. Drawback - because it is "plastic" it can warp.

The gasket they used has to be able to prevent too much heat get transferred to the intake and be thick enough to makeup any variations in flatness. That is a lot to ask for a gasket, and that's why they can fail.

They should have stayed with the longer runner tubular aluminum intake setup. Then on the 9th generation corollas their would not be as many intake gasket failures.

That would have hurt power (mid to upper RPMs) and overall emissions - that's Toyota opted to change it. They couldn't have foreseen the leaking gasket issue that some have had - but atleast there is an updated part to replace it with.

Is VICTOR REINZ a good gasket. I never heard of them before. That is why I went with the one from Toyota.

Just went to dealer and got new orange silicone intake gasket. I am going to try to change mine out because of po171 code I got all most 2 months ago.

It should not be that hard to change out.

Victor-Reinz are a pretty decent manufacturer of gaskets - they are a big name on European and heavy duty engines. An old name brand - I think they were the first to make a head gasket when engines moves from a solid engine design. OEM manufacturer to Mercedes Benz, Opel, etc. Now part of the American DANA corporation - with Victor gaskets sold in the US, and Reinz sold in Germany. One of the largest flat gasket companies in the world.

But in the case, with the Corolla, I too would have picked a OEM Toyota gasket. No sense messing with an aftermarket when a new OEM part number will fix a known issue. Plus there will be no question if the part will work or not, given lots of reviews from other owners that have used the new gasket.

Fish

When I change my intake gasket I will let you know how it goes. I hope it is not too hard.

Shouldn't be - lots of good DIY tips on this forum, as lots of members on here have 9th gen Corollas that they changed the intake manifold gasket on.

Fish

I have 98,800 on my corolla. I just changed my battery. I am going to change my oil with PENZOIL ULTRA PLATINUM and my pcv valve. I really like PENZOIL ULTRA PLATINUM. I am also going to Change my spark plugs. I have DENSO sk16r11 plugs. I am changing my intake gasket too. The air filter and cabin filter will also be changed.

When all this is done I will be ready for another 100,000 miles.

Topic List