Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Incredibly Dim 1995 Corolla Stock Low Beams

By Guest mszak50, January 7, 2005 in Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm

Guest mszak50

I have a 1995 Toyota Corolla DX - the low beams are "like flashlights" at this point.

The bulbs are Original equipment...do bulbs wear out? will replacing them get me my original headlight brightness?

If not, does anyone know of any inexpensive solutions to getting brighter headlights?

Thanks in advance

Mike

p.s. I have washed the lenses!

Assuming the lenses aren't clouding, then it is probably either a wiring harness which is corroding or the original bulbs are for some reason deteriorating.

New bulbs are cheap and very quick to swap out, and you'll need ones eventually...I'd say start there just because it is easy to do...

I agree with Garrett - could be just worn bulbs. Assuming that your wiring and chargings system are up to snuff - some OEM bulbs will start to dim in output in as little as two years. Most don't notice it because it is so gradual.

New OEM bulbs will get you back some of that light - Sylvania Silver Stars are also said to be a good choice in aftermarket. DOT legal and same wattage as OEM - just runs at a slightly higher color temperature (not blue bulbs - closer to Halogens). PIAA Extreme White and Super White bulbs are also very bright bulbs (higher wattage)that cost about double the price of the Sylvania Silver Stars -but are also reputed to burn out quickly (less than 12 months).

Long life - can't beat OEM, for more light - I'd suggest Sliver Stars (about the same price as OEM).

Good Luck.

Guest mszak50

Thanks for the tips! I'm off to the local auto-parts store to get some OEM bulbs and we'll see how that works.

Much Obliged...

Mike

BTW, these are the *original* bulbs - 10 years old this february....

Topic List: Go to Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm