Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Tighter Tolerance Engines

By Bull6791, August 9, 2014

See every reply in these pages:

Yeah I meant a tad less than 18.5 inches on the old dipstick. Revised one is definitely exactly 18 inches.

So the new revised dipstick is lower at 18 inches

And the old stick is a little less than 18.5.

Ok.

The revised dipstick's full mark is almost 0.5 inch higher than on the old dipstick.

Revised dipstick measures 18 inches between middle of o-ring and full mark.

Old dipstick's full mark is nearly 0.5 inch lower at almost 18.5 inches from middle of o-ring.

Dom

The revised oil level and dipstick add a 1/2 an inch. Bringing it from 3.9 quarts up to 4.4 quarts.

You said the new dipstick measures exactly 18 inches. So that tells me the old dipstick should measure 17.5 inches where the 1/2 inch Toyota raised the level would bring new dipstick to exactly 18 inches like you said.

Do you agree.

Frank

No. Look at your dipstick. Measure it. Think about it for a while.... The higher the full mark is, the closer it will be to the o-ring near the TOP handle, therefore the distance will be less.

Dom

I agree with you. New dipstick is 18 inches and

Old dipstick is 18.5.

Just curious do you know how much a new dipstick cost. I they still have them at dealership. Or do you know somewhere else to get one.

Frank

Dom

Thanks. I do not know but when I take my dipstick out to measure it to see if I have old or revised one maybe it will have a part # on it.

It would be nice if I took my dipstick out and it had a part # on it.

I will see. I am going to measure mine any way.

Thanks for the link on revised dipstick.

Frank

Dom

I will check on the Handle. I thought if their was a part # it would be on the actual dipstick.

Frank

Dom & fish

I was just curious. I do not know what year was the first year for the 1zz-fe engine. If I had to take a guess was it in 2003. I wanted to know when the consuming oil problem first started and what is the cause for this engine. Also how did they fix it in later 1zz-fe engines buy raising oil level or something else.

Also where can I get info to read up on make up oil. When I search on google it keeps bringing up oil in make up.

Thanks Frank.

You don't need to be concerned about any of that with your 2005.

Make up oil??

1ZZ-FE came to the North American market in 1998. In 2000, they added VVT-i capability. In 2003, they revised the camshaft profile, upgraded to a 32-bit ECM, and revised the piston design. 2005 is when they first introduced DBW throttlebody and AFR sensor vs the conventional O2 sensor.

As dom mention - you don't have to be concerned about oil consumption. That seemed to affect only the early 8th gen and some very early 9th gen models. Even some of the 8th gen owners, like myself, have not seen oil consumption.

The added oil level is to provide extra oil capacity/engine insurance - even 1/2 quart more will allow for additional cooling, reserve additive capacity, protect owners that don't check their oil on a regular basis. Engine will run fine at 3.9 quarts or 4.4 quarts - with CAFE pushing for higher MPG numbers, lower viscosity oil are being recommended. The drawback from lower viscosity oils is that they can be consumed at a slightly higher rate. That little extra oil is there for a cushion, as most owners likely never check their oil until they see the low oil pressure light flash on the gauge (ie, my wife), which means it is already too late.

As long as you stay on top of the maintenance, check fluid levels on a regular basis, you should have nothing to worry about.

Fish

Now what is film strength if I may ask.

I do not like the 20 oils. By that I mean. 0w-20 and 5w-20. My 07 Camry I put nothing in but the recommended 5w-20 and it burns oil. On the other hand my 05 corolla since I got it brand new I put in the recommended 5w-30 and the oil is great. I like 5w-30 oil way better than 5w-20.

On my next oil change I am switching Camry to 5w-30.

Frank.

Short answer - it is the measurement of a lubricant's ability to keep an unbroken film over a surface.

In reality - it is a lot more complicated than that. Oil basestock, viscosity, VI improvers, molecular characteristics, additive package, etc. all have some input to the oil's overall film strength. Generally - a heavier oil (viscosity) will have a thicker film. Note that doesn't necessarily translate to more protection or reduces oil consumption - in your case, you have a unique situation.

Your Camry's 2AZ-FE engine is a known oil consumer. Part of that is due to the design of the engine - resin gears on the balance shafts, low tension piston rings, coated pistons, smaller mains, micro-grooved bearings, etc. all have a part to play in engine oil consumption. Film strength has some bearing on the consumption issue, but not a major contributor to it.

Running a heavier oil may or may not help. In the case of the early 1ZZ-FE with heavy oil consumption - heavier oils made the consumption WORSE, over time.

Just have to try it out and see what a 5w-30 oil does to the car. It might help, may see no difference, doubt it would hurt it. Might be as easy and trying a different brand of 0w-20/5w-20 motor oil. Some tend to have less volatility vs others. Might be useful to pull a UOA on the 20-weight oil fill, then pull one with a 30-weight oil fill. Just to see what the engine does and how the oil is working.

Topic List