Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Mechanics In Nyc And Westchester County Area

by adames729, August 1, 2014

Hey all!

I've been a member for quite some time. Just been lurking around getting great ideas from so many sources in this forum. Since I purchased my first Toyota Corolla (1993 standard with NO AC) back in 2004, I've been in love with these cars. Low maintenance, great prices on OE parts, and GREAT gas mileage, I've been hooked. I bought myself a 2000 Honda Civic SI and after a year went and bought myself a 1997 Toyota Corolla, this time automatic and with great AC... About a year after that I bought myself a 2001 Toyota Corolla LE in which I posted pictures of it in this forum.

Well anyways, let me get down to the reason for this post. My 2001 Corolla has DRL's on it and as we know, once the car turns on, the lights automatically turns on. My girlfriend was driving in a 'village' in NY and she gets stopped by the police. It was a bogus stop and they are trying to charge her for all sorts of things and they are saying that the reason for the stop is because she was driving with no lights on whatsoever. We hired a lawyer and the lawyer tells us that if we can prove to the courts that there was no valid reason for the police to stop her, then all the charges will be dropped. I explained to the lawyer how the car works with the DRL's and even went to a Toyota Service Center and had the car inspected and verified that the DRL's in fact do work properly and that it has never been tampered with. I also provided the lawyer with a video to show how the lights turn on when the vehicle is turned on. In the video I show that there is no way to turn the lights off once the car is turned on. I explain that the only way the lights would turn off is if the car is turned off. Now we all know if the car is turned off, you can't be driving the vehicle.

After explaining this to the lawyer, he understands how the car works but wants an "Toyota expert" to explain to the courts how the car works so that no one has any doubts about how the car works. He explained to me that since I am the car owner and the boyfriend that they may not believe my explanation 100%.

The reason for my post is to see if there is a mechanic in the NYC area that would be willing to go to court in Westchester County to act as our Toyota expert and explain how DRL's work and that it is not possible with that this Year Make and Model car for the lights to be turned off and be driving. The lawyer told us it wouldn't be a long day in court, and from our experience so far, it has not been long at all.

I would be extremely thankful to anyone that would do us the favor of acting as our expert and help us get this matter resolved.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post!!!

Don't think that should be on your shoulders, that is the responsibility of the attorney that you hired. They should be doing the legwork in finding subject matter experts to testify. Certified Toyota mechanic might be the minimum requirement - don't think you can grab anyone from a shop. More senior the person the better - won't be free either, most will expect to be paid for this at the consulting rate - usually 2-3 times that of the shop hourly rate.

Can't you bring the owner's manual to court to explain how the DRL's work?

An official Toyota document ought to be as good as a mechanic.

I agree with fish. I have never needed to hire a lawyer but I do know THEY are PAID to prepare you case. Has this lawyer charged you yet? If they are not willing to help cut your losses and find one that will do their job. Also being your girlfriend was the one involved she might need to be the one to hire the lawyer

Topic List