Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Power Steering Pulley Replacement

By jcthoma3, July 27, 2014

Pretty sure this is the cause of the humming sound I posted about a few days ago. I tightened it a bit and the sound went away only to come back after driving a few miles. Mechanic at the auto parts store says it's probably the bearing in the PS pulley. It looks like there's just a bolt holding it on but I don't want to take anything apart before I know it's that simple. Any advice on how to tackle changing the PS pulley? Thanks for any help.

Bad_dude

I would think the bearing is on the pump. I don't think the pulley has a bearing on it.

Yeah I must be using the wrong word. He probably said something different but he was pointing to the inner ring of the PS pulley. I just replaced it and the job was way easier than expected. The pump was covered in motor oil and was not leaking. Plus my power steering feels fine. I popped off the front passenger tire and took off the serpentine belt. The pulley was very accessible from under the car on the passenger side after removing the mud guard. One nut holds the pulley on so there's no need for the special pulley tool. The ridges inside of the pulley were very worn and the nut holding on the pulley came off using just my hand so it was very loose. Changing it has silenced the noise completely. Thanks for all the help you guys.

Bad_dude

Good work bud.

how long do the pulleys last ??

Topic List