By 4rnrlvr, June 25, 2014

2001 Corolla with 206k miles - 5 speed stick shift

That is right.

I filled my tires to 40PSI !!!

City - 38mpg

Freeway - 43mpg

What do you guys think?

Now here is a problem......

I burn FOUR QUARTS of OIL per GAS TANK on the freeway.. 430 MILES of driving.

Four quarts means 12 dollars added to a full tank of gas I am filling in. (let's say $3.00/QUART)

At 3.5 dollars per gallon, I pay $35.00 per gallon. $12.00 for oil so it is costing me $47.00 dollars per gas tank.

Working backwards.... to get real time fuel economy..

$47 dollars at every gas fill is LIKE using 13.43 gallons of fuel for every 430 miles. ($47 divided by the price of $3.5/gallon) = 13.43 gallons

FUEL ECONOMY == 430 miles / 13.43 = 32MPG ----- LOL !!!!!

It is a 1000 dollar car, I can't spend 4000 on an engine replacement... what do you guys think ?

I think it is ok for me to continue driving just the way it is with a 32mpg.

Have you ever heard of a car burning that much oil?

I have not !!

Sounds like you have bad rings. I bet your compression is pretty low too. At this point, do you have a substitute vehicle you can drive? Burning this much oil isn't good for emissions components of your car either (o2 sensors, PCV, catalytic converter, etc.).

Most of us on the Forum already know of the Corolla oil-burning issue, but I've yet to hear of one burning this much. I personally would discontinue driving it until a rebuild is performed. Is your back bumper full of oil soot?

Per the placard, my tires are inflated to 30psi. I get 40mpg in combined 75-percent highway, 25-percent city. (But that's also driving 55 on the highway).

Ouch, 4 quarts burned per tank & you aren't crop dusting? Is it leaking oil onto the driveway? I'm surprised the plugs aren't fouling with such excessive consumption. The engine needs to be repaired immediately as it will likely start running poorly soon & is hugely bad for the envrionment.

Ouch, 4 quarts burned per tank & you aren't crop dusting? Is it leaking oil onto the driveway? I'm surprised the plugs aren't fouling with such excessive consumption. The engine needs to be repaired immediately as it will likely start running poorly soon & is hugely bad for the envrionment.

No leaking of oil at all. All dry. This is a drive to work and back (20 miles round trip) car. The only reason I bought it for a 1000 dollars is to keep my FJ Cruiser in the garage saved from sun and rain and dumb drivers on the freeway.

I don't want to spend anything on it but let it take me to and from work. That is all I need with temporary solutions to keep it going. If it lasts me one year and saves 10,000 miles on the FJ, I am happy.

I will then sell it for parts.

Sounds like you got one of those heavy oil consuming 1ZZ-FE Corollas. At the rate it is guzzling oil, nothing short of a rebuild will fix that. You might be able to slow it down a bit - many have reported good luck running a high mileage oil like Valvoline Maxlife. Unlike other cars with oil consumption issues - you really want to avoid running a heavier grade of oil - if anything, you want to run a thinner oil. The majority of these excessive oil consuming 1ZZ-FE comes with stuck piston rings. Running a high temperature stable oil (synthetic) at a thin enough grade (thin enough to penetrate and try and eat away at the clog, but thick enough to provide protection) - you can slow the oil consumption.

Some have try a number of piston soaks - using MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil), Kroil solvent, Seafoam, kerosene fuel, diesel fuel, ATF, etc. - trying to dissolve those deposits. Some that were successful, were able to greatly slow oil consumption or even stop it. Some where not so lucky.

At this point - it might be worth a try, see if you can atleast slow it down. Otherwise - just keep filling it up with oil - cheaper than buying a new car / rebuilding it - especially if you need it to hold out another year. Everything else about the car (MPG) sounds pretty solid - so in the short term, just bear with it.

Awesome. Thanks.

Can I use a 2008 Corolla engine? Will it fit perfectly in a 2001 ?

You can use a newer 1ZZ-FE - just have to move over a few sensors (knock sensor) and reuse your existing intake and exhaust (2005+ were DBW and AFR, reuse your old intake for cable throttlebody and exhaust manifold for convention O2 sensors). Physically, the blocks are identical - same mounting points, same size. Reuse your wiring harness and ECM - the changes between the engines is small enough that the 8th gen ECM can compensate for it. Some accessories might have to swap over as well - can't remember off the top of my head.

Though due to the powerband shifting upwardson the 9th gen engines, compared to stronger lowend the 8th gen 1ZZ-FE - many found that it was not a bad thing. The 8th gen is pretty light, so that increase in the mid-range power, do to revised camshaft profile, actually worked out nicely for those that swapped it in. You'll lose a little bit of that power, as the cams were optimized to use the shorter runners on the composite intake - not the long length tubular ones on the 8th gen. But you can recover those by swapping in a 2003-2004 model year 1ZZ-FE intake and throttle body - lots of those available around online.

Thanks !

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)