Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Oil Drain Pan

by Bull6791, April 25, 2014

I was wondering if any one used either the blitz square type with round circle in the middle or the rhino gear round oil drain pan with spout on side.

I wanted to know what is easier to work with square plastic type or round plastic type fluid drain pan.

Thanks

Frank

Talking about something like this?

Yup, had one of those - threw it out the second or third time I used it. The drain cap on the side leaked almost immediately, which made the drain pan pretty much useless. The top part doesn't always want to screw down tightly, can leak as well. Makes trying to transport that to a fluid collection center pretty much impossible.

I ended up with two different ones. This one:

Similar to the square one (also made by Blitz or Rhino) - again same issue, the cap on the spout leaks pretty much immediately, the plastic tethering ring broke off quickly as well. I liked it better than the square one because the solid top made it easier to fish out little nuts and bolts. The mesh on the square one - they drop right in. The only issue is that center valve - if you don't pop it out correctly - oil will pool very quickly and overflow the side. Still - with the pour spout - I could eventually pour it into the old oil containers for disposal later.

My other pan - similar to the above design, just with an open top.

Simpler design - still, that oil spout cap had issues, but the open design means I can drain pretty much anything into it. Major drawbacks - anything that drops in has to be fished out later. Have to clean it after use, otherwise it would cause pretty strong oil change odors to get everywhere in the garage. Just have to watch how you pour it - as oil can slosh around pretty badly.

Was thinking about getting this one:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200342358_200342358

But hard to justify the price and size. Might be good for multiple jobs, where I change all 3 or 4 cars oil at the same time. Good for some of my project cars that has an external oil sump (12 quarts) - but still, takes up a lot of real estate in the garage - just barely fits under the car. Also14.5 gallons of used motor oil will weight over 100lbs.

Fish

Sounds like all 3 of them have their problems. I know I will not get the first one. The square one. I probably will go with one of the round ones. I hope the one I get does not leak.

The last one is what you are currently using.

FRANK

No, the last one is one that I was thinking of getting, but can't justify the price or size. Seen one before and the build quality was superior to the others I have. But hard to say it was worth the different in price. I think i paid less than $8 for the two round ones, the square one was the most expensive one at $12.

Leaking issue - I think part of it is the poor injection molding they use. The threads aren't formed very well. The cap is pretty poor in construction - really thin, brittle plastic. At least the ones with a spout - won't leak oil all over the ground as you drain whatever fluid it is. I pour the old oil back into the original jugs, after I poured them into the engine. Take them to an oil recovery place - usually my local Advance Auto Parts shop.

Fish

I am going to try the black round oil drain pan in the picture. The one with the lid by Blitz/rhino gear. I will see how that works out. Then go from their.

Frank

Sounds good! Let us know how you like it when you use it.

Definitely will let you know.

Thanks again

Topic List