Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Brembo Blanks

by Bull6791, April 18, 2014

Where can you buy Brembo Blanks aka rotors.

I know at dealer and rock auto. Is there any where else.

Also I know their is fakes

Thanks Frank.

Bunch of places sell Brembo plain vented rotors - Autoanything, Tirerack, Brakewarehouse, Autopartswarehouse, Brakeworld, Placeforbrakes, etc.

I've bough brakes from Tirerack, Rockauto, dealership, Autopartswarehouse, and others - so far, no issues.

As for counterfeits - unfortunately, even verified vendors can get a couple passed through their doors - so going to a reputable dealer/vendor is no guarantee that the rotor is genuine. I'll caveat that with a reputable dealer/vendor will buy back the suspect rotor and exchange it for another set.

Problem is, Brembo has lots of intermediaries, multiple foundries and machine shops spread all over the world. Generally speaking - can't always go by the box, have to look at the stampings on the side, how the rotors are machined, and measure the thickness of the rotors/vanes.

Most "fakes" don't spend the time to machine the rotors inside and out - variations from rotor to rotor can be significant (one side of the rotor is significantly thicker than the other).

More than just rotors - also have to think about how pair them with a decent brake pad as well. What kind and type is dependent on your driving style, driving conditions.

Personally - I like Brembos, they are the OEM for many manufactuers, including Toyota. Also like Centric - huge OEM for manufacturers like Nissan, Honda, most domestics, etc. StopTech and Powerstop are two of Centric's premium brands. Running Brembos on the Corolla, Powerstop on the Rav4, StopTech on the Matrix. As for brake pads, myself, I like a more aggressive pad. More initial bite, higher temperature resistance - drawback, they can dust like crazy, squeal when cold, and can through some owners off, if they are not used to their characteristics. Example - my wife cannot drive my Corolla - brake feel completely confuses her, if she took it down the highway off ramp, she'd total the car in the heartbeat. In that case, my Hawk HPS would not work for her. But a Powerstop performance ceramic would be just fine.

You might have to try a couple of pads out - see what works best for your case. If unsure - then stick with OEM Toyota pad on the Brembo blank - that will act just like the OEM setup.

Fish

Next time I replace my front brakes I was going to use Brembo blanks or Centric premium rotors. Brake pads I was going to try either Stop tech or Akebono performance ceramic. I also herd the green OEM pads were good too. I do not know what company makes them.

Frank

Green? Might be EBC Greenstuff pads. I've used that brand in the past, but got mixed results. They are pretty sensitive to the brake in process - if you don't break them in right, they won't perform like they should. Not to say that other pads are easy to bed-in - just that those EBC required a bit more heat than what some owners can put into them. That said - the break in process (bed-in) is one of the more important things to do. Lots of information online on specific procedures to bed in the pads - some are manufacturer specific.

Not green EBC GREEN STUFF pads. I meant the green Toyota brake pads. I heard they were good.

Ah, oops - totally missed the OEM part you typed there! The green painted OEM pads - yeah, those are ceramic composite pads - pretty decent all around pad for most people. Those are made by Akebono for Toyota.

Just a FYI - if you want something one step better - Akebono ProACT Ceramic would be a good cost to performance pad. Runs like an OEM pad, but coefficient of friction is slightly higher. Will feel different than OEM, but many owners seem to like them after running them a while.

Topic List