Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By autotech2612, March 26, 2014

I am thinking about selling my '02 and purchasing a newer Corolla or a Matrix that is 2004 or newer. Is the oil burning issue evident in the 2004-2007 generation? What other issues in the post-2002 generation are evident?

I do want to see this car soon: http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/4381866599.html

I have a 2004 which I believe is the best year for a 9th gen Corolla (2003-2008)... 2005+ with DBW had ECU problems which had to be replaced at least once, and ongoing vibration complaints from idle speed that is too low. 2003 models had oil consumption problems from piston ring groove oil holes that are too small and clog up, and manual transmission bearing problems.

2004 Matrix looks good. Try to find out if the manual tranny fluid was replaced every 40,000 miles, as required, and if the engine ran on synthetic oil changed regularly. Its oil capacity was increased 1/2 quart in 2005 by raising the dipstick's full mark by nearly 1/2", and is applicable to all years as per TSB. Revised full mark is now at exactly 18 inches from center of o-ring near handle. Look also for ECU recalibration sticker with hand written calibration number and date on driver's door frame.

How many miles are on your Matrix? No oil consumption issues? I wonder why those issues would start with 2005, and not 2003. I can understand the oil consumption issue being fixed right away for the 2004 year.

The Matrix is missing a hubcap and it looks like a fog lamp is missing. It's only five miles away from me.

I don't have a Matrix, but they're mechanically identical to the Corolla. Now at.168,000 miles under severe conditions, it consumes 2/3 quart between 5000 mile oil changes... The introduction of DBW with new cold solder plagued ECU's, and idle calibration which was never perfected led to such 2005-2008 1ZZ-FE problems.

I'll look for the label, but what do you suggest I do if it isn't there?

I didn't end up going to look at the car. I asked the seller in a text if the coolant in the radiator is green or red. He texted back "green". If someone can't bother to spend the extra money to use the factory red, I'll keep looking.

When I texted him Toyota requires factory red, he texted back "I don't care you stupid concern".

Green means coolant was replaced, which is rare and a good thing... Bad attitude though. Sounds like some ignorant Paki.

No, Mexi. Search continues.

Nah, I'm just going to keep the Corolla after all. Why I prefer to keep a 228K car over a car with low miles doesn't make sense to some people. I am having a used transmission put into mine. I absolutely love this car and it would be hard to part with it.

Plus, on a newer, lower-mileage car, I'd likely have to put comprehensive and collision on it. I'm happy just paying the basic on my Corolla.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)