Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

4A-Fe Idle

By baban3689, March 12, 2014

Pls help.

While on a traffic jam with the A/C running my idle start going down to zero. I restarted the engine , it started but the idle still go down even you step the gas.only in my 4th attempt that the engine started completely.

What happens to the idle when the A/C is not running - does it maintain idle OK then?

If it does, then you might have an issue with the "idle-up" circuit. That is supposed to increase the idle speed to compensate for the increased engine load. Also possible that the A/C compressor is running low on refrigerant or doesn't have enough oil in it - also possible that there is something wrong with the magnetic clutch on the compressor - could be dragging or binding on you. These would cause it to add more load to the engine than expected. For something like this sized car - not unusual for the A/C to consume 20-25% of the available engine power.

Since then every thing is fine as off now.(Aircon is OFF or ON).It seems that the problem is intermittent.I'm still waiting if this same issue occur, Hopefully not in a heavy traffic.

Possible that you sucked in some water from the gas tank. Water sinks to the bottom of the tank, can be picked up by the fuel pump and you'll get a weird, sputtering idle for a couple of minutes - sometimes the car will die and be hard to restart - but then be fine afterwards like nothing happened.

Might not be a bad idea to double check that the spark plugs are still in good shape, not fouled. Check the plug wires and distributor cap and rotor. If those look OK, look at the fuel filter being clogged and/or dirty injectors. Cleaning the throttlebody helps a lot with idle issues - lots of gunk can form behind and around the throttle plate - at low RPMs, those deposits could rob you of enough air to cause the car to stall at idle. Clogged EGR is also pretty common - same with bad or leaking vacuum hoses.

Thanks a lot. i will check this one by one..

Topic List