Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Bottom Out 2013 Corolla, Possible Muffler Damage?

By vikkineko, February 4, 2014

Hello,

I have a 2013 LE. Well, this winter I had a minor accident where I hit a snow/ice covered concrete median (the kind in shopping parking lots).

It was low enough that my car could clear it, but I did hear it land hard in the middle.

I did not think there was damage, but now 2 weeks later, I am starting to hear some noises, which I think are coming from the muffler. Mainly when my car is mostly warmed up and already coasting, sometimes I hear what sounds almost like a incomplete backfire or maybe it's an exhaust leak? I cannot look under the car because of the snow and I do not own a garage.

I am debating whether to take it to the dealer. Maybe I should, just to be on the safe side.

The car is driveable, it only makes that noise some of the time, I only drive the car twice a day, 6 days a week and it makes that noise once during each time of the commute.

Today, it make that noise louder than previously, so it has be concerned.

Do you think i damaged my muffler/exhaust line?

How much do these repairs usually run? I am pretty sure it probably won't be covered under Toyotacare.

Take it in - better safe than sorry.

Very likely you hit either the resonator, muffler, exhaust piping, or all of them. More concerning, if you hit the oil pan or transaxle pan (if automatic), could have also hit a suspension or lower chassis point.

Unlikely to covered under the comprehensive warranty, unless you have some provisions for accidental damage (warranty rider). Cost to repair depends on the amount of damage done. Usually not the cost of the part that gets you - usually the labor costs. Depending on your area - that could run anywhere from $85/hour to $155/hour.

If it is minor, bent or damage piping - could be a hundred or two. If something more "serious" - couple of thousand is not out of the question. You can always have it tossed onto the lift, look at the damage, and decide if you want to pay out of pocket or see if insurance picks this up. Doesn't hurt to ask them - stuff happens, that's why we have insurance.

K_Watson

Since you were moving it should be covered under your full coverage insurance. (I assume you have full coverage on a 2013)

...but don't claim unless its over $1000 or else the deductible + rate increase makes it not worth claiming

Hello,

Thanks for the advice.

I just paid it out of pocket and fortunately, they said there was no damage. They said it was out of alignment thought.

And tonight we get another snow storm....

Topic List