Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2006 Theromostat

by camperguy44, December 6, 2013

Now that winter is here, my 2006 heater is having a hard time keeping up. Heater is warm going up a hill but on the flats or going down hill almost no heat. Any experience or insights in replacing a thermostat is appreciated.

Start by checking your coolant level when your engine is completely cooled down. It should be full up to the pressure cap , and close to 'FULL' mark in the front reservoir.

What's your mileage, and was the coolant ever replaced?

Good questions. Mileage 155,000. Not sure when if ever the coolant has been replaced

When engine is cold, see if it's low when you remove pressure cap, and also look if the reservoir behind radiator is low or empty. Let me know if it is low or not. Are you in very hot climates?... Some coolant water can normally evaporate over all that time and mileage. Coolant is also overdue for replacement. You can replace it now, or top it off first and check for leaks.

I did check the coolant level with a cool engine and it was just slightly low. I live in a cool climate high in the rocky mountains. I seldom see temperatures higher than 90 F. What are your thoughts on the thermostat needing to be replaced? I've looked through dozens of forum posts and have seen very few addressing that problem, which makes me believe that it doesn't fail very often.

Well, your coolant should've been replaced twice already. It could also use a flush now. Your temperature gauge needle goes down when heater gets colder? Engine won't warm up nearly as much with vent fan on higher than low... My front grill is completely coveered for late fall till early spring, which helps a lot. My thermostat is still fine at 165,000 miles.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)