Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Felt Discs Or Pads

by Bull6791, October 16, 2013

Has any one used felt discs or pads that go on battery post. I keep getting corrosion on my battery posts and wonder if using felt disc would be a good idea. I never used them before.

Maybe something else would be better.

Any feed back would be great.

They don't at all for me - I still get whitesh/yellowish deposits around the posts. Even worse, because the posts are slightly tapered and how high the OEM battery terminal grabs the post - they actually can slip off under certain conditions. I could pound the terminal connectors down further and really tighten them down - but I don't want to distort the connectors or make them impossible to take off the next time around.

I just hose down the terminals with a spray product - looks sort of like this:

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05046-Technician-Terminal-Protector/dp/B000CIPUNC

Less messy than grease and helps seal that area from corrosion. Deep red color makes it easy to see when it rubs off - when you see some of the metal peeking through, just hit it again with the spray. Most dealerships do this for free when they service the car.

Check around - I got mine at Autozone for around $4 or $5 for a can. They also make a battery acid indicator - same brand, changes color when it finds acid.

Fish

A lot of people are recommending the felt disc to me like I said I never used them. It's good to know they do not work for you. I probably will not use them and go with your recommended spry.

Thanks

Yeah, in principle - those pads should work - their function is to divert gases that escape the battery and the slightly connective path between the plastic and the terminal connector from coming in direct contact with metal parts. But I've never successfully used them on my cars - but other applications (marine, power storage, etc - those might be a viable solution).

They used to sell those pads with batteries, but they stopped as they were not being used/didn't work from some owners.

The aerosol product is way more convenient - good coverage, easy to apply.

Topic List