Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Abs Option In 2005

by ElvisPresley, December 31, 2004

See every reply in these pages:

I bought an 05 corolla a few weeks ago. The salesman talked me out of ABS, saying i had to pay 1600 dollars for a safety package. I think he was bluffing so he could sell me the car he wanted to sell me. I'd seen something sayiing ABS was a 400 dollar option. Was he lying?

Can I get ABS now? I think if it wasn't installed at the factory I'm SOL.

Toyotas option packages are weird. even if you try to buid a corrolla on the website, it says select package, without teling you whats in them. I couldn't find anywhere a detailed description of each package.

-Ben

Guest Corollasroyce

The packages are listed, base model has nothing....

B Package is power door locks, keyless entry and air conditioning

C Packahe is power door locks, keyless entry, power windows, cruise controll and air conditioning

At least thats how they are in canada, and yes you can buy ABS after the fact but its going to cost you a good chunk of money, I beleive the only only that has ABS is the LE. I don't know where you live but where i live unless your a terrible driver you don't want ABS, they are terrible in the winter and dramatically increase your stopping distance on snow and ice....the 3 vehicals i have owned that had ABS i had them de-activated.....

You can also try the Kelly Blue Book site: www.kbb.com. Info on different packages and pricing (MSRP and Invoice). Good site to initially price out what you want and to see what the dealer is marking up. Also - don't believe that Invoice is the same as dealer price - but it give you someplace to bargain with.

thanks for the help. i feel a bit better about noot having ABS.

I'm a good driver, but i do sem to lock up the brakes in a panic situation.

Do all the canandian corollas come with Traction control? Seems like this would help a lot in the snow. Wish i had that too.

Scions come with ABS and Traction control standard--but of course Corollas are a better car in every other respect.

-Ben

Guest Corollasroyce

No i don't beleive any corollas have traction controll, maybe the LE's but im not sure, i know the CE's dont have it

Guest The Kings of Random

In Canada, ABS is an option on the Sport (S) and standard on LE. No ABS available on CE. Traction control isn't available on the Corolla at all.

Guest CorollasBest

the 05's have traction control as an option., except for the xrs.

Ti-Jean

I don't think that traction control is needed on a compact like the Corolla, even ABS. I prefer to see manufacturers put these on the options list and with the money saved I'll get a good set of winter tires and steel wheels.

For some reason, there are hardly any Corollas available with ABS.

I really wanted ABS. The majority of dealer stock is no ABS. Therefore, they spout lies and all sorts of BS in order to get you to buy what they have. It doesn't cost $1600.

From cars.com :

Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS)

MSRP$390Invoice$335

Dirty rotten lying worthless... default_sad

I would've liked to have ABS anbd traction control. Contrary to others opinions, i thinnk traction control would really help a light little car in the snow. Light little cars tend to get stuck easier and spend their wheels a lot, and traction control would help a lot. Neither are very expensive--but you're right, i think they dont' make many with these options. WHY?--maybe they want you to buy an XRS--these come standard--or a scion. Well-my piurchase is made. i'll try not to regret it.

-Ben

Ti-Jean

To the contrary, traction control and ABS can be a detriment in snow and ice.

Many people here just disable them. If your wheels can not spin at all because of poor traction, you're stuck for good. Try to get out of a snow bank with traction control and you're cooked because you can not rock your vehicle back and forth with some spin.

As for ABS, it has been demonstrated that braking on ice and snow takes much longer that without.

The industry is trying its best to make us believe that we need those devices, even on regular cars for regular driving but I'm not convinced that they are needed in low power applications. Learning to control ou cars is a better way to achieve safer driving.

And to that extent, 4 good winter tires (if you live in the snow belt) will be much more valuable than all the software you could cram in to your car.

maybe I'm wrong about traction control. I thought it was like a limited slip differential--that when one wheel slips the other turns--and that both are alwways turnning a little bit.

Yes--i beleive in snow tires too. Just got my set from trirerack. Take off wheels with snows, mounted, balanced, and shipped for about 4000 bucks!

-Ben

A limited slip diff is kinda like traction control - but it more for putting power down to the pavement than anything else. In poor traction - even with a limited slip diff - you would spin both tires instead of just the one. I doubt that Corollas will come OEM with limited slips (someday possibly). The available electronic traction control uses braking and engine control to minimize wheel spin - can be worse than an open diff in some surfaces.

I hope that was $400 not $4000 from Tirerack. For $4K - those have got to be some hell of a snow tire. default_biggrin

fish-

Opps--that was 400, not 4000. I'm just a terrible typist.

Last car, which i totaled hitting a deer (12 point buck at 65mph), was a subaru. All wheeel drive, ABS, traction control, limited slip. With snow tires, it was pretty much unstoppable in the winter. But I bought the corrolla becuse subaru quality, besides the drivetrain, is pretty poor. On both my subarus, after 2 or three years, i had a bagfull of plastic interior parts that fell off. Plus the mileage wasn't very good.

Used to have a Civic. It would get stuck in my own (fllat) driveway). I'm hoping the corolla isn't as bad. It's a bit higher off the ground, so that will help. The civic would bottom out if i didn't have time to shovel before work in the morning.

-Ben

Guest Corollasroyce

I drive my corolla up logging roads with snow on them and ive never had a problem yet and we get alot of snow here and it gets realllly cold....I had an impreza as well as like you said those things are unstoppable in the snow....i took taht thing in places 4 wheel drive trucks couldn't go (well ones without any weight in the back)

I opted for the RAV4 when we bought it, ABS and traction control are standard as well as stability control and something called Electronic Brake Force Distribution. Mainly, I liked the RAV for its roomy-ness, higher ground clearance than the Camry and being an SUV maintains a higher resale value than a passenger car (not that I'd sell it anytime soon). In my corner of Texas there's seldom (almost never) any ice to worry about although wet streets (common in Houston) make me feel better about having ABS and the other Assorted safety stuff.

My better half's 98 Corolla is good, dependable basic commuter transportation which made my decision to consider Toyota easy, but I wanted something a little bigger. I looked at the Highlander (way expensive), 4Runner (still high and won't fit in the garage), Tacoma pre-Runner with an extended cab (wanted more interior room, but also won't fit in the garage and also high-priced).

Wifey didn't like the Matrix, I really liked the Scion tc but not very practical, both of us didn't like the look of the Scion xb wagon, we couldn't afford a Land Cruiser or Sequoia, and a Camry with similar options was even more than the RAV. So, the RAV was naturally the best choice.

Guest Corollasroyce

I was tempted to buy the RAV 4 for the ground clearance advantage it has over my corolla, how do you like it so far?? I test drove it and really liked it but i changed jobs so i don't need the clearance anymore

I still find it pleasurable to drive and the fuel economy for an SUV can't be beat. When I compare the performance aspects of it to the old V8 lead sleds I used to own, the 2.4 I4 matches them off the line without sucking down half of its fuel.

I'd buy another one without question. I especially like the full-size outboard spare tire, which to me designates it as a real SUV.

Guest Corollasroyce

Cool, good to know you like it....id ask more questions but i don't want to steal this topic....so enjoy it

Guest ChoBaka

I bought my Corolla LE 05 in the Pacific NW USA, and ABS was included on the car. However, it was NOT part of any package. Here's the options my car had:

Audio Value (6-CD, 6 speaker + Cruise Control)

All Weather

Carpet Floor Mats

Side/Curtain Airbags

Antilock Brakes w/ Electronic Brake Distribution

As you can see, the ABS wasn't part of any package.

ChoBaka:

Actually, your car has a package that many LE Corollas have - look at the Toyota website. It is the ABS, side air bags, and audio value. It is called "option combination B."

Back to my original quation.

My salesman said it was only available with a saftey package, including side curtain air bags, etc, that costs $`6000, He aprears to have been misinformed or lying.

-Ben

Guest ChoBaka

ChoBaka:

Actually, your car has a package that many LE Corollas have - look at the Toyota website. It is the ABS, side air bags, and audio value. It is called "option combination B."

Hrm...now that I've seen the website, yeah it makes sense. At the dealer's all the packages and options were listed separately, so I had no clue that these were part of the option combination "B." Thanks for letting me know! default_biggrin

Big_Beard

When I was looking for a car I wanted ABS but I looked at so many I got confuzed and bought the Corolla CE (2003) thinking it did have ABS - was pretty surprised when I realized it did not; the wifie informed me default_smile

I considered putting an aftermarket ABS system in myself (which is still a consideration in the back of my mind) - but I decided on buying him a new set of feet for winter -- Michelin X-Ice. It was expensive at around $850 CDN with 4 rims and torqing etc... but it was totally worth it. The difference was like night and day - no more spinning when accelerating and no sliding when stopping. Much better control and traction. the stock tires totally suck in snow the tred just fills up totally and they are like a set of slicks; even though I only use them in summer and have about 60K on the vehicle it looks more like a tire with 80-90K on them, they will be replaced with a premium set this or next summer God Willing.

Anyways - regardless of if you get ABS or not you ought to consider a set of snow or ice tires. Ice tires are better then snow tires where I live but his might not be the case where you live.

Bikeman982

I don't have ABS (as far as I can tell) on any of my Corollas. I have not (ever) driven one of them in the snow, so I have no idea how they respond. I am pretty happy with the standard traction/braking status on my cars. I do put new tires on them and replace them when they wear too much. I get good traction and am a very good driver - look ahead and don't tailgate so I don't have to slam on brakes. Once in a while I do brake hard and I think I have skidded, but not far. I think careful driving with good tires and careful braking can replace ABS brakes.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)