Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Mr Blotto November 11, 2012

So I had foot surgery mid- September, and have had to let my '95 corolla sit in my driveway for a few months. I recently took it out for a spin (of course she fired right up), but noticed that when I turned my on my heat, a horrible noise came from the blower motor, and some debris flew out of the vents. I have a bunch of crappy trees in my yard, so I suspected that a ton of pods made there way past the screen by the windshield, and clogged up the blower motor. So, I pulled the motor and discovered that it was packed full with leaves! I suspect a mouse decided to make it their home, but HOW THE HECK DID A MOUSE GET INSIDE??? All of the screen are in place, and nothing is missing.

Please help me understand how they got in there.

Thanks

That's not unusual. Doesn't take much time for animals to nest inside the car - especially this time of year and if the car sits long enough. I've had my older muscle car's intakes completely stuffed with nuts/acorns/etc. from chipmunks rooting around. They've also completely stripped all the foam/rag material out of the seats to build a next in the blower motor or in the trunk.

That said - modern cars are tighter, but not that much more than the older cars. If leaves and seeds can fall in from the cowl area - so can your smaller animals. Doesn't take much space - anything that is large enough for their heads to fit through is enough for them to get into the car. Field mice are especially tough to keep out - any opening that a standard pencil will fit through is enough for a field mouse. Chipmunks can get through holes that are small as 1/2".

Topic List