Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By tig, September 6, 2012

what would need to be done (pertaining to emissions and computer related items) to put a 91 4afe engine from an 3-speed automatic vehicle into an 89 4af 5-speed manual vehicle?

i have a mechanically sound 91 that was side swiped on the highway. the driver side doors and rear quarter panels are messed up. the windshield is also cracked. i have been driving it for over a year in this condition. it would not pass safety inspection next year with the cracked windshield.

i just bought an 89 for 300$ that has better body panels and a new windshield. the engine has 300K miles and has a bad miss. i am not sure what is causing the miss. i figured the windshield, new tires, new alternator. battery, perfect interior (including seats that have some padding) were worth over 300$.

i am going to remove all of the good parts from one of the cars and then scrap the other.

i did not know how much of a headache it would be to swap the 4af with the 4afe if i went with that option.

your input is appreciated.

I haven't done such a swap, but I've wondered about it too. One thing to consider is the fuel system. I think the 4AF uses lower fuel pressure. It has (I am told) a different fuel pump than the 4AFE. It certainly has a different style fuel filter.

Does the computer have any transmission related functions?

Do i need to consider this because I would be going from 3-speed auto to 5-speed manual?

Guest 89wagon

the computer has very little to do with the trans. should work just fine. the olny thing i found so far is making the safety neutral switch work form to the other. at least for the trans. there maybe differences in the wiring for the engine with the rest of the car. i am doing the same swap. i have a 89 wagon that is a 4af and i i got a 92 that is 4afe. i found that wiring is different on 4 of the plug for the engine harness that plugs into the rest of the cars and may have to change all of the cars harness. u will have to change the whole fuel system over too the 4afe is a high pressure pump. or u can get a aftermarket fuel pump that mounts inline and just make sure it is the right pressure.

I finally finished the swap. I ended up moving the 4afe engine, gas tank, fuel lines, wiring under the dash, wiring in the engine compartment, wiring going thru the passenger fender and wiring thru the drivers side fender. I also had to move the front turn signal lites. A lot of work. I would probably not do it again (much easier to just wait for another fuel injected car).

I did have 1 issue that stumped me for a couple of hours. The turn signals and hazards did not work after I moved all of the wires. They worked in the donor car before dismantling it. The hazard switch was the culprit. I moved the hazard switch from the donor to the recipient car and the turn signals and hazard lites worked.

Topic List