Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2014 Corolla?

By corollamike, April 24, 2012 in Toyota Corolla (2009 until 2018-19 “TNGA”)

Wow. That would be a pretty radical departure for Toyota to use such a strongly shaped body on a future Corolla. Toyota is generally pretty conservative with changes, so may not see much of that concept car feature set making it to production. But it is possible that Toyota is tired of seeing sales slip away to stronger styled cars from other manufacturers. Be interesting to see what happens.

It reminds me of the Scion FR-S.

Saw over on Facebook where someone had posted this photo, claiming it was a 2014 Corolla S concept car:

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/574679_327382990661035_100001680099072_825955_171035273_n.jpg

If there is any aspect of Toyota's concept vehicles, it is that the production car will look nothing like this one. And I for one think that's a good thing.

That is one of Toyota Dear Qin global-strategic concepts (sedan and hatchback) featuring a design aiming to attract more people to the user base in China.

http://www2.toyota.co.jp/en/news/12/04/0423_1.pdf

It's a shame that style is beating out practicality in Corollas.

Look at the nose of the car in the post above. One tap in a parking lot can easily inflict thousands of dollars of damage.

Why not use bumpers made in basic black gloss that can be replaced as a bolt on job with parts straight from the parts department.cv b?`

Stainless steel bumpers and titanium armor all around would be nice, as well as a carbon fiber body and aluminum chassis...

Seems to me there is a point to be made for more practicality in the next-gen Corolla than wilder-than-wild front and rear fascias.

You may be interested in this article -- and more especially Shoichiro Toyoda's remarks to outgoing Toyota president Katsuaki Watanabe: http://www.bloomberg...id=a9yJCGNHdGWs

Toyota have earned their reputation for building cars that perform over long periods, and deviating from it -- even for the sake of being more stylish -- will bite them. For that matter, the very reason we opted for our '09 Corolla was primarily based on that reputation; it just so happened we thought the thing looked pretty good, too.

I maintain that further decontenting the Corolla will hurt them, as well. Even the last Yaris had dual glove boxes, but today's version does not. And how practical is it, really, to offer Europe a tilt AND telescoping wheel in the Yaris, but not the same to us in North America?

Yep, that's right: A tilt-telescoping wheel in the Yaris IS AVAILABLE in the UK. Embedded in the Specs & Prices section of Toyota's UK site, you'll find the proof: http://www.toyota.co...s-specification

Practicality, Toyota: That's what we want. Give the Chinese the RoboCop-meets-Cylon design, and give US the same practicality of the '09-'10 models. Yeah, sure, you can throw in a nice 6-speed auto if you want, but none of us will really care all that much. Really, we won't, 'cause we're getting 40+ mpg highway as it is.

Seems to me there is a point to be made for more practicality in the next-gen Corolla than wilder-than-wild front and rear fascias.

You may be interested in this article -- and more especially Shoichiro Toyoda's remarks to outgoing Toyota president Katsuaki Watanabe: http://www.bloomberg...id=a9yJCGNHdGWs

Toyota have earned their reputation for building cars that perform over long periods, and deviating from it -- even for the sake of being more stylish -- will bite them. For that matter, the very reason we opted for our '09 Corolla was primarily based on that reputation; it just so happened we thought the thing looked pretty good, too.

I maintain that further decontenting the Corolla will hurt them, as well. Even the last Yaris had dual glove boxes, but today's version does not. And how practical is it, really, to offer Europe a tilt AND telescoping wheel in the Yaris, but not the same to us in North America?

Yep, that's right: A tilt-telescoping wheel in the Yaris IS AVAILABLE in the UK. Embedded in the Specs & Prices section of Toyota's UK site, you'll find the proof: http://www.toyota.co...s-specification

Practicality, Toyota: That's what we want. Give the Chinese the RoboCop-meets-Cylon design, and give US the same practicality of the '09-'10 models. Yeah, sure, you can throw in a nice 6-speed auto if you want, but none of us will really care all that much. Really, we won't, 'cause we're getting 40+ mpg highway as it is.

You are so right.

Corolla buyers traditionally valued practicality over styling. Remember the old slogan "cheap to keep"?

• 1,424 posts

I totally disagree with everyone here on keeping the Corolla the same, a change would be welcome, just to keep things fresh.

The Corolla remains a solid car, but its near the end of its life cycle and newer cars have come out recently that are serious competition for it.

If Toyota wants to keep up with the Civic, Focus and Cruze, they will change the car and we know they want to keep up.

A more upscale interior and some more luxury oriented options like leather, heated seats and climate control would be welcome additions.

I'm enjoying the banter. Really. And I'll bet Toyota have a couple of people watching this forum and taking note of all we say.

As for a 6-speed transmission, I've read where if they're not tuned just right, they shift-shiffity-shift until they drive you crazy, always hunting for the right gear. How that will improve mileage is anyone's guess.

And there are more than a dump truck load of complaints about the "plasticy" interior. I sit on the seats, and not on the dash, so why would I want a soft-touch dashboard? Sure, the center-console arm rest is hard plastic, but what I really wish is that they made the arm rest on the door the same height, or vice-versa. And perhaps a bit of gel padding where my right knee rests against the center stack would be a good idea, too.

My car is neither my office, my closet, nor my dining room. So, I don't know why the hoo-hah over hard plastics. Seems to me that they probably weigh less than the padded stuff, which in turn gives me better mileage. So I say, good deal.

At 73" tall, I have all the room I need in the 10-gen version. Can put the driver's seat all the way back and still have plenty of rear-seat leg room. Head room is good all around, too.

As for the trunk, I've been able to haul as much as I want without a fuss. The radio is good, the A/C works very well (today was freakin' HOT), the dual glove boxes are way awesome, and I can charge my phone while it's hidden away in the center console rest. In other words, it's all the car for which I could ask.

In the latest auto news, It has been reported that the '13 Auris (UK Corolla) will have more interior room, and a bigger boot to, er, boot. Lucky for us, the sedan version (still named the Corolla in other parts of Europe) will remain a "global" car. And the reason that is good news is that Toyota haven't forgotten the US market, which means we'll get pretty much what the rest of the world will get. And if they're building a better Auris, they're surely building a better Corolla.

While I think the 'Rolla looks good like it is, I would suggest on Sport versions to follow the lead on the new Camry: Gone are the bolt-on aero panels, replaced with different rocker panels. And lip spoilers are far better than the kitchy '70s bolt-ons, too.

And for the love of all that's holy and pure, PUT SOME BETTER-LOOKING RIMS ON THE NEW ONE, will ya, Toyota? Bring back the '09-'10 XRS 17" rims, for cryin' out loud. ENOUGH with STUPID, UGLY RIMS.

Am calming down... calming down...

• 1,424 posts

I drive a 2012 Ford Focus several times a week, it has a six speed "automatic" and it has all the right gears and never hunts for gears, shifts roughly or takes a while to shift. I have driven the five and six speed automatics in the Civic and Forte Koup and still like their shift logic better than the Corolla's. Did some cars have bad six speed programming two years ago, yep. I don't think they have the shift all the time issue anymore.

My car isn't my closet or office or anything else either. I have the owners manual a small bottle of hand sanatizer and a chap stick in addition to my manual and insurance/ registration. However, I feel like soft touch materials are necessary because the competition has them.

In addition, I feel the hvac is less than powerful. I have a remote start and while on the Focus the car will cool down in one ten minute start, the Corolla takes fifteen minutes. The seats lack any lumbar support and the rear seat headrests block the rear view. The two compartment console from the 9th generation is gone. The car also needs a better color scheme for the 'S' model, black is hot and hard to keep clean.

I'm no saying I dont like my car, I do. I have most of the toys so it's a decent car but some things about it are cheap. I bought the car because of the payments being reasonable and my experience with Toyota. It isn't like I would take it back, but I would have liked a Bluetooth system and a dual level console with a soft lid.

I'm enjoying the banter. Really. And I'll bet Toyota have a couple of people watching this forum and taking note of all we say.

As for a 6-speed transmission, I've read where if they're not tuned just right, they shift-shiffity-shift until they drive you crazy, always hunting for the right gear. How that will improve mileage is anyone's guess.

And there are more than a dump truck load of complaints about the "plasticy" interior. I sit on the seats, and not on the dash, so why would I want a soft-touch dashboard? Sure, the center-console arm rest is hard plastic, but what I really wish is that they made the arm rest on the door the same height, or vice-versa. And perhaps a bit of gel padding where my right knee rests against the center stack would be a good idea, too.

My car is neither my office, my closet, nor my dining room. So, I don't know why the hoo-hah over hard plastics. Seems to me that they probably weigh less than the padded stuff, which in turn gives me better mileage. So I say, good deal.

At 73" tall, I have all the room I need in the 10-gen version. Can put the driver's seat all the way back and still have plenty of rear-seat leg room. Head room is good all around, too.

As for the trunk, I've been able to haul as much as I want without a fuss. The radio is good, the A/C works very well (today was freakin' HOT), the dual glove boxes are way awesome, and I can charge my phone while it's hidden away in the center console rest. In other words, it's all the car for which I could ask.

In the latest auto news, It has been reported that the '13 Auris (UK Corolla) will have more interior room, and a bigger boot to, er, boot. Lucky for us, the sedan version (still named the Corolla in other parts of Europe) will remain a "global" car. And the reason that is good news is that Toyota haven't forgotten the US market, which means we'll get pretty much what the rest of the world will get. And if they're building a better Auris, they're surely building a better Corolla.

While I think the 'Rolla looks good like it is, I would suggest on Sport versions to follow the lead on the new Camry: Gone are the bolt-on aero panels, replaced with different rocker panels. And lip spoilers are far better than the kitchy '70s bolt-ons, too.

And for the love of all that's holy and pure, PUT SOME BETTER-LOOKING RIMS ON THE NEW ONE, will ya, Toyota? Bring back the '09-'10 XRS 17" rims, for cryin' out loud. ENOUGH with STUPID, UGLY RIMS.

Am calming down... calming down...

Some more banter -- but first, a commercial: http://www.truedelta.../vs-Corolla-266

Had a drive in a new Focus last year. Thought I would like it. I mean, what says "global car" more than an overly-huge center stack to restrict your lateral leg/knee movement? Or better yet, no real usable space like in the Corolla? And that puny center console storage? Yeah, the punier the better! Oh, and trying to reach into the glove box from the driver's seat is a real treat, I'll tell you! Who needs a Tony Little workout when you're trying to reach around or under or too far forward just to use the almost-non-existent storage space in your Euro-spec driving machine?

But the best part was when I cracked my left knee on the headlamp switch! I'm getting bruises just thinking about it!

Is it possible that the current dislike of the Corolla is due -- and in no small part -- to a phenomenon called "Keeping up with the Jones'"? Take the Hyundai Elantra, for example: It's a beautiful car from any angle; it has all the latest gadgetry you'd expect to find in today's C-class offerings (except a real spare tire); is lauded by the automotive press; and can be seen on just about any road at just about any time of day, doing its compact car thing.

However, it's seats are hard and uncomfortable on long hauls. People NEVER seem to get the mileage the EPA says they'll expect. Ever closed the door on one? It sounds a bit tinny. And as for overall refinement, it just isn't quite there yet.

But, it's pretty, available in many good-looking colors, and priced right. Oh, and it can be had with a 6-speed automatic transmission.

And as far as a black, "cop out" interior goes, it was among the top 5 reasons we bought the Corolla. Honestly, it was. And I still love it.

And my extraordinarily bad back doesn't hurt when I drive it; and it's electric power steering makes for easy driving; and it's daytime running lights were seen by a motorcyclist just in time today while going to the store; and Barcelona Red is AWESOME; and even though my '09 "only" has 4 gears, I continue to achieve 40+ mpg highway (31-34 city/county road); and; and; and...

I think it's safe to say Toyota will be heavily updating the Corolla. There may be a 6-speed in the works. And IRS (I'm dreaming). And available rear disc brakes. And soft-touch dash stuff.

Would I trade my '09 for a '12 model? No, because Toyota have seen fit to decontent it. Shame, Toyota.

Would I trade my '09 for a '13/'14 with a padded dash and 6-speed transmission? Only if it got 45+ mpg highway, thank you very much.

• 1,424 posts

I don't keep hardly anything in the car, never open the glove box and never touch anything on the dash of the Focus. I'm 5'9" and 160 lb and have never hit anything on the Focus interior either. For me I'd rather have a Corolla that was more like a Focus.

As for the Elantra, it lacks some feel but it has a nice feature set, the seats are hard but so are those in BMW and Mercedes Benz cars and people like those. The car looks slick and it might sound tinny but it does well in crash tests. If I wasn't somewhere so far from a Hyundai dealer I might consider one.

If the 2013 Corolla isn't a very different car from mine or the price doesn't stay the same for a loaded one, I will look for another car, maybe a Prius.

It's clear, at least to me, that Corolla owners like enough of the same features, and hope for similar upgrades. All in all, the next iteration simply must be more; to be built on what it is, and to exceed it.

Only time will tell if Toyota can do better with the next Corolla than they have with the new Yaris, but if they fail, we'll have a number of C cars from which to choose.

The kind of buyer that bought a corolla in year 2000 would now buy a hybrid like a Prius or Honda Insight. The bosses at Toyota know it and act consequently, making the corolla look more like a Scion, trying to attract another segment of buyers. Why would somebody want to drive a car with such shape is beyond my understanding, but the marketing gurus think that younger buyers do. Maybe they are right.

For me the Corolla died in 2002. I don't like how the design of cars has evolved. The bodies have progressively became very rounded and very tall and now every car in the market looks like an egg. It must be something related to new ways of fabricating bodies, engine mounting and safety, but I don't like it. I prefer the more boxy designs of the 80s. At that time the automakers seemed to care about aesthetics.

Just my $0.02

You've heard of Better Living through Science, right? Well, get a load of Pedestrian Safety through Vehicle Design.

The reason they don't build 'em like they used to is that they're not allowed to build 'em like they used to!

The kind of buyer that bought a corolla in year 2000 would now buy a hybrid like a Prius or Honda Insight. The bosses at Toyota know it and act consequently, making the corolla look more like a Scion, trying to attract another segment of buyers. Why would somebody want to drive a car with such shape is beyond my understanding, but the marketing gurus think that younger buyers do. Maybe they are right.

For me the Corolla died in 2002. I don't like how the design of cars has evolved. The bodies have progressively became very rounded and very tall and now every car in the market looks like an egg. It must be something related to new ways of fabricating bodies, engine mounting and safety, but I don't like it. I prefer the more boxy designs of the 80s. At that time the automakers seemed to care about aesthetics.

Just my $0.02

Lower mileage drivers still want a practical gasoline vehicle since they may take years to recover the hybrid premium driving low mileage per year.

The current Prius is a "Starship Enterprise". I'd buy a Prius like the original models which looked like a Corolla and had rear visibility without a TV camera.

Prius appeals to gadget lovers as well as economy lovers but not to folks who want a sensible car that's cheap to run and maintain. That's what made Toyota famous. My company rented many cars in NYC in the 70's and 80's. The Corollas and Tercels were the ones that stayed together with virtually no maintenance and hard service in the Avis daily rental market.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla (2009 until 2018-19 “TNGA”)