Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1995 Corolla Starts Fine Runs Ok But After Shut Off And Trying To Star

By greg_jones, April 1, 2011 in Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm

greg_jones

It always starts in the morning and after work(in the evening) but if I shut it off then restart it while the engine is still warm, it stalls. Usually I have to wait at least 4-5 hours to start it back up again so that it will run fine. If I try to start it back up soon after I shut the engine off, it dies just when I shift to drive/reverse/neutral. Basically the engine needs to cool down for it to start(and drive). It has no problem starting and driving in the morning while the engine is cold. No check-engine light on. Replaced spark plugs few months ago. Also one more problem - when going around 50-55mph, it feels like the engine is trying to stall. I shift it to N for few seconds then its usually fine again.

1995 Corolla base 1.6L AT.

Any help?

Could be a number of things causing this to happen. From a bad fuel pump, to clogged fuel filter, possibly bad igniter/coil pack (overheating), leaking vacuum line/leaking vacuum source, bad coolant temperature sensor (car thinks is it cold all the time).

Need a bit more information:

- Does the car always want to stall at the 50-55MPH speed range?

- What exactly happens when you restart when warm, does the car start up fine and slowly dies/stalls or does it immediately dies/stalls?

- What maintenance have you done recently?

- This something that started some time ago, just wasn't frequent - or is this something that just started all of the sudden?

greg_jones

"Need a bit more information:"

The engine does not overheat, at least according to the gauge.

- Does the car always want to stall at the 50-55MPH speed range?

Yes pretty much always. Especially when I've been driving consistently for more than 10 seconds in that speed range after I reach that range. I shift to N, for few seconds then its fine and I switch it back to D. After 3-4 minutes the problem starts again and I repeat the process.

- What exactly happens when you restart when warm, does the car start up fine and slowly dies/stalls or does it immediately dies/stalls?

In first couple tries, it will stall immediately when I shift to Reverse or Drive. After first 3-4 tries it stalls immediately after the engine starts when I turn the keys (i.e. in P).

- What maintenance have you done recently?

Changed a distributor cap around late 2009. Changed spark plugs 5 months ago. Oil change is due in about next 50 miles. Changed Air filter last summer. I drive it less than 80 miles a week.

- This something that started some time ago, just wasn't frequent - or is this something that just started all of the sudden?

Late last year, the car started to stall in very low speeds and at stop lights. It didn't always stall, but felt like it wanted to stall most of the time. So, I got away with it by shifting to neutral every time I approached a stop light. But the problem only lasted about 7-8 weeks and it went away. Now these two problems that I mentioned in this thread started little over a month ago.

Hmm. Given that extra bit of info, another strong possibility is a stuck EGR valve / bad vacuum modulator. The car is at the right age and usage to start seeing issues with the EGR system. EGR systems are mechanical in nature, so it fits the warm restart behavior. I've had cars that the EGR valve completely jammed with carbon deposits - some case jammed completely open, so it was redirecting a good portion of the exhaust gas into the combustion chamber - made the engine either immediately stall or slowly choke down, depending on the RPMs and load.

First - check ignition system:

- Definitely wouldn't hurt to pull the sparkplugs and "read" the ends. That should give you some idea of combustion issues. If the plugs look OK, double check the plug wires and cap/rotor. Want to make sure there is no carbon tracking or other arcing issues inside the cap/rotor. Same with the plug wires, visually inspect them for oil soaking, jacket damage, make sure they are making good contact with the cap and plugs. If you have a multimeter handy, check the resistance of the coil pack, hot and cold if possible.

- If those all check out, try to visually check for arcing with the car in a dark area (inside the garage is OK for a short time, make sure you crack the garage door to vent the exhaust - better to do it outside, if it is dark enough out there) - with the hood open and engine running. The arcs can be very hard to see, but after your eyes get use to it, may be able to see electrical arcs from wires to ground or even between wires. Long shot, but an easy check that anyone can do - this will catch those intermittent cases that are hard to diagnose.

Check the fuel system:

- Replace inline fuel filter if you haven't already done so - will be by the driver's side fender, metal cylinder with fuel hardlines running to it. Best to hit it with some penetrating fluid a couple days in advance to help loosen that corrosion on the fittings, flared wrench can help bite into the fittings better than a standard wrench - prevent rounding off the corners of those fittings.

- Doesn't hurt to check on fuel pressures at different RPMS. Should be a schrader type valve running to a fuel hardline - verify that pressures do not drop when you increase RPMs.

- Listen to the injectors "clicking" when RPMs are varied, should be a pretty steady clicking, increasing in speed with RPMs. You can use a mechanic's stethoscope or a long screwdriver with your ear to the handle. If the sound is not even or missing "beats" - could be a sign of a failing injector.

Check vacuum sources:

- This will include the EGR system, brake booster, intake manifold lines, fuel regulator, PCV, EVAP system, etc., any source of vacuum. A vacuum gauge might also be helpful here - can pickup on vacuum leaks that cannot be visually found. Fortunately, the majority of problems in this area are pretty quickly seen visually - look for signs of damaged/missing vacuum hoses. Should be a diagram under the hood somewhere. Old school trick is to hit vacuum unions, around gaskets, vacuum tee's with a spray solution (I use plain water with a couple drops of dishwashing detergent) - spray suspect hoses with this and if the idle jumps or greatly improves - you found your leak.

Topic List: Go to Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm