Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

7Th Gen Oddity.....

by plyr503, March 25, 2011

A friend of mine has a 7th generation corolla that works great except one small problem. Apparently this thing will be cruising down the freeway just fine and then turn off.... It's odd because it doesn't struggle to stay running (choke or sputter ), and it doesn't just immediately shut off either. The rpm's just drop at an even slow pace until the motor stops. Giving it gas in any amount, from a pedal to the metal stomp or just a flutter of the pedal does nothing, the only thing that helps is to turn the key off then on quickly before the motor stops...Bizarre.... I'm at a loss really, though I've not had a chance to look at the car or see it do this annoying trick in person, does anyone have an idea where to begin? electrical stuff isn't my strong point and I'd have to guess that's an electrical issue.........

Could be a number of things - could be either a dying fuel pump or clogged fuel injector, a dying coil pack/ignition issue, bad ECM, or bad ignition switch. Even throttlebody icing can cause this (though it shouldn't be affected by the key turning procedure). More likely, given the behavior with the key, is a faulty ignition switch. With intermittent stuff like this - have to diagnose it carefully, as a problem can manifest in a couple different ways. If it is indeed a bad switch, not too bad to change - but I would diagnose it to make sure it is indeed the switch.

Topic List