Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How Do I Get Brighter Head Lights?

by mikejax20, February 1, 2011

my headlights have that faded yellow tint. ive thought about cleaning them but id also like brighter head light but i dont want to install hids because here in jax fl copps pull you over for sneezing while driving so what are my options?

Definitely think about getting those headlight restoration kits - just polishing that yellow oxidation off the headlamps can make a huge difference in light output. From there, options for running a brighter halogen lamp - check out HIR bulbs. These give you a brighter solution without going to HIDs. Do a search on some of the posts on this forum, there has been a pretty decent discussion on different bulbs that people have used and any tradeoffs they've seen (generally the brighter the bulb, the shorter the lifespan).

Also, make sure your electrical system is working optimally - this is especially common in cases where you see the lights dim slightly as you add electrical loads (turn on the fans, work electric door locks or power windows, etc.) and when you rev the engine and notice the lamps brighten at higher revs. Check the condition of the battery - if it is more than 5 years old, should start thinking of a good replacement battery. Most of the maintenance free batteries do not have caps that you can pry off and check the electrolyte levels - but they usually have an "eye indicator" somewhere on the top of the battery - if the battery is weak, that "eye" will drop down or show a different color. If the battery was recently replaced or is still in good condition. Clean off any corrosion on the battery terminals, make sure the ends are nice and clean. Same goes to chassis grounds, make sure the ground wiring is in good shape, connectors do not have any corrosion on them. Check the tension/condition of your alternator belt. If the belt is too worn, could be slipping and not making as much power as it could be.

Voltage drop through the stock wiring to your headlights also dims them a good deal. buying or making a harness to supply direct battery power and adding a stronger ground will make a big difference. just loosing 2 volts can cut light output like 30% from a halogen bulb!

I'm with Bitter,

I created new wire harness w/ relays on our 4Runner.

Best $20 spent!

my headlights have that faded yellow tint. ive thought about cleaning them but id also like brighter head light but i dont want to install hids because here in jax fl copps pull you over for sneezing while driving so what are my options?

I know this is late but I thought I would post anyway in case it helps someone else.

If its oxidation buildup on the outside of the light you can scrub that off with some toothpaste. Its a lot cheaper than the restoration kit and works well. If you don't believe me google it.

Then replace the headlight bulbs with some sylvania silver star bulbs. they are brighter than oem replacements but not HIDs. Most people don't do HIDs right anwyay and end up blinding people cause they didn't replace the projectors.

I guess replacing the relay could help too.

I used the Meguiar's headlight restoration kit on our '05 Corolla. It was well worth the $25 since there is plenty of rubbing compound left in the bottle for 3 or 4 more cars.

Use a plug in power drill rather than a battery powered one. I wore out a battery drill in a short time.

Try tooth paste, it's an abrasive that works, but Scratch off worked too! I saw this tube video, he kills me,but it works!

This idea will sound a little crazy, I'm sure, but for cleaning schmutz from surfaces around my house, I use baking soda.

I swear, for cleaning my sinks and tub, baking soda cuts the schmutz better than any other cleaner I've tried--and I've tried 'em all.

Wonder if a mix of liquid soap (Murphy's comes to mind, 'cause it's thick) and baking soda would work to clean hazed headlights?

Wonder, too, if waxing them like you do the rest of the car will help to impede further oxidation, which is what the haze is. Just noticed the my '09 Corolla's headlights had some sort of faint haze on them. Turns out that I haven't waxed it in a while, so when I washed it a few days ago, I waxed them with some of that Turtle Wax spray-on stuff. Now, they're clear.

For a light haze - baking soda paste trick should work. Baking soda is a fairly fine abrasive - so it should be able to cut through the oxidized layer. Soda blasting is getting more popular with the restoration crowd - is it just abrasive enough to knock down light corrosion and loose paint - but not aggressive enough to cut into the material. Good alternative to glass beads and walnut shell blasting media.

Definitely wax the lamp assemblies - part of my routine when I detail the car. Double check in a small spot first - as there are a few wax/sealants that use a petroleum solvent base that will eat plastic. Those tend to soften the plastic enough to trap particles in the surface. Once that happens, the lamps will look cloudy. Nothing you can do at that point other than to grind a fair amount of material way or replace them.

WowZa! Amazon just delivered my Formula 1 Scratch out (<5 bucks), and I gave it a try! Mind you I just rubbed some on and after 2-3 minutes wiped/buffed if off. The yellow is completely gone! Now, I know that, I didn't use any sealer or poly whatever wax, so it will come back.

Test drive tonight...stay tuned!

Btw, baking soda and hot water is great to use on a stove top! Wife knows everything!

For an upate:

My 4 dollar liquid rubbing compound worked great! I can see again,now I have to figure out why it took me so long.

For an upate:

My 4 dollar liquid rubbing compound worked great! I can see again,now I have to figure out why it took me so long.

Hey, how about some pictures? Would like to see your results!

For an upate:

Hey, how about some pictures? Would like to see your results!

I've never posted pics before, but they now just look like normal headlights. What would've been great if you could of seen before the Formula one. They were actually yellow, and so bad I was using high beam to be able to see the road on curves. Fortunately I drive the car seldom at night, but now I can.

Btw, I think any rubbing compound would work as well.

Topic List