Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2004 Matrix 5 Spd Tranny Failure

By tursup, January 28, 2011

My brother has a 2004 Matrix. I understand that it is based on the running gear of the Corolla that year. He has only 45K on it but his tranny went out. Here is what he had to say:

"My 2004 matrix with 45,000 miles just had its transmission fail. a slight pitch change from the transmission started about 1k miles ago and a mech said it was no big deal (well, actually, it is a very big deal now). Anyway, the car is still driveable, but each gear when loaded makes a grinding noise and there is a significant loss of performance when loaded. the neighborhood shop says sometheing internal with the transmission is wrong and there are two options: perhaps its is just a bearing(s) problem or the entire transmission will need to be replaced. From information in this and other forums, the 5-spd transmission is a piece of @#!?!!. If the entire transmission needs replacement, I am thinking of installing a 6-speed transmission since, according to another forum, the 6-spd does not have the defect that the 5-spd unit has."

He has since had the main thrust bearing and a few seals replaced.

I know that the Matrix is heaverier than a Corolla and thiswould tax the tranny more. Are Corollas of the same year experiencing failures on their 5 speeds?

On 9thgencorolla forums, there are a few that had premature transaxle failure on their 5-speeds. Also note that a good number of 6-speed Corolla XRS owners have also toasted their transaxle as well - so the 6-speed is far from being bullet-proof. Granted, it doesn't seem to have the input bearing failure that some 5-speeds have, but it has its own "quirks".

Most of the issues seem to circle around fluid changes and what gear oil to use (GL-4 or GL-5, specific weight, etc.) Matrix being a good 200+ heavier than the Corolla with the exact same running gear does not help matters either. If it means anything, I change my gear oil every 10K miles - and have not had any issue with the C60 6-speed prior to the car being eventually totaled - ended up with a little more than 120K miles on the Matrix (2nd clutch).

In your brother's case, sounds like the input bearing is toast. That, or a gear or syncro got shredded and the debris is being churned up internally. I'd drain it out and see what the drain oil looks like - see if it has a metallic sheen to it or not.

Thanks fish. I was later told that his wife drives uphill in 3rd, lugging it. bad.... So, it may just be driving habits.

I think that it also says that the cars are designed to take a certain level of abuse; go beyound it and something will eventually give out.

Obviously there is a price break point. Don't get me wrong, I think Toyotas are great. I tend to buy mostly them.

True, but you also like to see them a lot tougher as well.

Toyota nowadays are still pretty robust cars, will go far as long as you put in the maintenance - but you won't see engines the likes of the 4AGE/4AGZE, 3SGE/3SGTE, or 2JZGTE anymore. The E-series transaxle of the MR2 were pretty bulletproof - known to handle impressive amounts of abuse.

But in order to shave weight, increase profits, reduce part count, stretch out maintenance requirements - there isn't as much "extra potential" like there was in the past. The current crop of C-series transaxles and automatics just barely it during "spirited" driving conditions. Even the TRD S/C that bumped up power from 125HP to 166HP, were putting the transaxles under heavy strain. Lots of the automatics burned up, even with auxillary coolers. The C-60 6-speeds have shown better results their 5-speed counterparts, but many know of the weak 3rd gear in that box. Quite a few letting go before their time.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)