Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Brake Drag ?

by plyr503, December 30, 2010

So I have some excessive drag going on with the driver side front brake caliper. I noticed this today while replacing a half shaft and wheel bearings (had a bad half shaft anyway and had been planning on replacing the wheel bearings for a while now) , I had noticed the driver side lug nuts and steelie getting a great deal hotter than the passenger side and thought maybe it was due to the bad HS......Yeah I was wrong.....

So my questions are pretty simple, I don't think the problem is with the sliders they seemed to move just fine today when I messed with it a little bit, obviously I can just replace the caliper but I'd like to be sure that is the problem. Is there a chance this could be a proportioning valve problem? (put a used one in from a car with 250000 miles on it when I put discs in the rear) I'd just like to fix the problem and not throw any unneeded parts at the problem............

check the pad to see if it is scored.

if the caliper is sliding fine and theres no visible leaks.. i would start looking further up the chain..check the brake line .. i have heard of the flexible rubber line braking down inside and the chunks getting jammed in there causing brake drag issues..

the sliders on the caliper seemed to be fine yesterday when I gave them a brief once over , they moved back and forth with little effort. I didn't get much time to check out the caliper piston (at home with two small children till after the new year), I may have time today during nap time default_biggrin I'll check out the condition of the softline as well, thats something I hadn't thought of.

take the pads off and check the surface, is it scored/tarnished/rough ??

i hadn't noticed any scoring on the pads either, I'll check her out in the morning and let you know.

double checked pads and noticed no scoring, when I took the caliper off it took a bit of force to get the piston to move initially. I went ahead and changed the caliper anyway if this doesn't fix it I'm going to change the soft lines (which appear to be in excellent condition ) and continue moving up from there....

can you check for play in the wheel ??

if the wheel is vibrating/loose due to a faulty wheel bearing, it could cause the dragging

brand new wheel bearings with no play, there was no difference in the heat before or after I changed the wheel bearings either so it had to be a caliper issue. I haven't had the opportunity to take the car on the freeway for a high speed test (which was where I would notice the difference in temp the most), but as of yet everything seems a-ok default_biggrin

Topic List