Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Poor Steering In 2005 Corolla

Guest fiddler

I just sold my 1984 Corolla 4-door hatchback (sniff) and bought a 2005 sedan. There is a lot to like about the new car, but the steering is driving me nuts. I wonder if anyone has advice on how to improve the situation?

When I first picked up the car, something was clearly wrong with the toe-in. The front wheels were fighting with each other. After a couple of tries, I persuaded the dealer to fix the alignment, which made things noticeably better, but still bad. (Ironically, the loaner car I drove while my car was in the shop steered nicely.) A trip to a private wheel alignment company might have made things slightly better--hard to say.

The problems I observe (possibly all symptoms of the same problem) are:

1) The steering "sticks". Driving down the road at 30 mph, if you pull the wheel to one side, it doesn't snap back--it stays there, or nearly so. The system is overdamped.

2) There seems to be lag between steering input and response. It isn't that there is play--it's just that the stickiness means you push on the steering wheel for a while before the car responds. This is bad because...

3) The car drifts. If I aim it straight down the road, after a while it is moving to one side or the other. Attempts to straighten it out just cause it to drift the other way.

Has anyone had similar experiences with their late model Corolla, and can it be fixed?

P.S. The "flutter" in the topic description refers to the fact that the car darts back and forth on the freeway on windy days.

The "flutter" is most likely crap tires. Replaced the Integrity tires with Michelin Harmony at 12K. What a difference in traction.

Steering should not behave like that. If you didn't see this in the loaner, demand that a tech or the service manager ride with you in your Corolla and in one off the lot.

It should handle crisply.

Guest Toyota-san

Sounds like a bad steering rack. I had a 1992 Spirit that did the exact same things you described and it was a bad rack and a pump. Had those replaced and car was as good as new.

Make sure you get that car in the shop over and over, so if the dealer never fixes it, you can make a lemon law claim?

I have had the same "sticking" problem with my 03 Corolla S just after purchase. After 4 visits, it started to clunk when I straightened out from making a turn. They finally found a defective bushing on the input shaft to the stearing rack. they replaced the rack, anf it's been perfect for the last 175,000km.

Don't give up on this problem. It's DANGEROUS.

The flutter is normal, but can be reduced by adding a strut bar to the front suspension. I got mine off ebay for $20 and put it on in 30 minutes.

Guest Corollasroyce

Yeh i would defently stick to the claim on such a new car, it will be covered under warrenty, and the dealer should not hassle you about it at all....

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)