Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Anyone Agree That The Corolla Is Boring?

See every reply in these pages:

Theres no such thing as boring cars, just boring drivers default_biggrin .

I don't find it boring... Its quick enough, handles good, looks good...

Maybe the Pre-03s were a little dry (I've driven a few, didn't like them), but the 2003+ is no worse than the Civic or any of its other competitors.

It would always be be nice to have tighter handling, and a little more power, but I guess thats why they just came out with the XRS.

I never did understand "fun" when it came to a driving experience. Actually, no matter what ride I have, I find driving to be fraught with tension, idiotic motorists, poorly designed parking lots, needless stop signs and lights.

Ya...

To have fun while driving you have to be a bit of an idiot and have somewhat bad judgement.

Trust me, I know default_biggrin .

My perception of the amount of power in the Corolla may be a tad skewed since I migrated from a very old Camry. And I checked a list of "muscle cars" and did not find the CE. default_laugh But when I take that tachomter up right near that red area -- danged if this sucker doesn't haul. The combination of light weight and the full 130 HP that you get at 6000 rpm is plenty of power for me. I mean gee whiz, look at the stats on how quickly it can get to 60 mph: a little over 8 seconds, which is not all that boring.

Car and Driver were talking about the XRS model here: "It will strafe the anti-destination leaguers as they meander—cell phone in ear—toward some distant and unachievable terminus. Actually, the strange high-rev switchover point for the 2ZZ engine's variable valve timing and lift system almost begs a bank-heist-getaway driver technique. The high-lift cam is where the real excitement lives, and it's particularly effective in taller gears, where the thrust stays on longer. So you find yourself shrieking around freeways in third and fourth gears, zinging the engine wherever you go for maximum response."

Now I know the CE has a different engine and 40 fewer horses, and it takes about a second longer to get to 60, but this is a good description of the Jekyll and Hyde split personality between the "good" or low-rev Corolla and the "bad" high-rev Corolla. The "switchover" mode makes it pretty hard to get bored -- in first gear alone I can launch to freeway speeds, and shift directly into fourth. Just like the C&D writer indicates, when I want to zing forward on the freeway, gears like third come to mind.

Thing is, I usually want to be good and do not want power (which I have to pay for in gas mileage) all the time or at low revs, so it's perfect for an economy car (with an afterburner switch). When you make full use of the CE's 130 horses, it really isn't boring at all!

Do you find your Corolla to be boring?

I have driven Volkswagen diesels for over 20 years and switched to my 03 Corolla S after getting sick and tired of the high maintenance bills of the VW. Bored???? NO! I feel like I'm driving a racecar now.

I did drive a Honda Civic sedan and THAT'S boring. I met myself 6 times in 2 blocks.

Guest Kevin108

It's boring but it's practical. For exciting I have a 72 Chevelle and a 87 Chevy 4x4. My friends even call it my Boringmobile.

Most Toyotas are boring. It's the conservative essence of Toyota.

When they try to build some excitement, it's pathetically clear that they don't know how--take the overwrought last generation Celica, for example. The Tundra is derivative (I read somewhere they were going to go with T150, but thought better of it for obvious reasons), the Camry is a bit odd, and the Corolla, is, well, boring.

Interestingly, perhaps the most interesting piece of original thought can be found in the Prius. I don't think the new xA and the two door coupe (forget the letters) are all that bad either, though the xB is very sad when you compare it to a PT Cruiser.

There's very few times when anyone gets it "just right." The new Mustang comes pretty close. The BMW 3 series comes pretty close. VW gives you heapin' helpin's of "it is what it is" styling, which is why I would prefer a Toyota corolla that looks like an '04 Jetta.

No, what Toyota promisies is refinement, durability, quality, and longevity. That's why I bought it. Boring and all.

Boring? Not at all, its alot more fun to drive then a van. Would be more fun if it was a manual. default_smile

Boring? Not at all, not to me anyway...but I understand my definition of boring may differ from someone else's.

I am very happy with my little car - the only thing I'll admit to is that I like the styling/design of the newer models better than my 01 - so in the looks department I guess my 01 is a little boring compared to the 03.

Guest scorpionzx1

I could see how a lot of people could find this to be a boring car, but a car is what you make of it. If you just need something thats a reliable daily driver just to get from point a to point b, then ya, it is going to be boring. but the great thing about the corolla is that if you want to make it exciting, you can, there's enough stuff out there, if you keep your eyes out for it, and look, to modify it to suit your specific needs and prefferences, to make it more exciting. and performance wise, I find it to be quite a peppy car, it has a lot of get up and go for something that doesn't burn a hole in your pocket every time you have to take a trip to the gas station.

Guest CorollaGuy

Boring? Not at all, not to me anyway...but I understand my definition of boring may differ from someone else's.

I am very happy with my little car - the only thing I'll admit to is that I like the styling/design of the newer models better than my 01 - so in the looks department I guess my 01 is a little boring compared to the 03.

Funny, I think the styling of the previous generation of Corollas is better than the current generation. Of course, the current Corollas look more luxurious, but they also look kinda fat (I like sleek looking cars). It almost looks like a squashed Lexus default_blink

A very subjective and relative question... I also have a 96 Camry and compared to that, the 05 Corolla is infinitely more fun and nimble to drive! Though I find any car with a manual transmission does add to the fun factor somewhat default_wink

Styling is a bit bland though. The Euro/Australian versions of the sedan with basically just different lights to the North American version look much 'less boring' in my opinion.

Anyway it's 'horses for courses' and if the Corolla didn't fit my purposes, I wouldn't have bought it! Boring or not, count me as another very satisfied Corolla owner default_smile

Compared to other cars on the market, I suppose one could view the Corolla as boring. Even though I could've afforded a more expensive car, I chose my Corolla for reliability and longevity. Haven't had any mechanical problems at all and I bought it used. For 8 years, my previous Ford was in for repairs a lot and if I didn't have the extended warranty, I would've wound up in the poor house.

I find our rolla very plessent. That's the best word I can discribe about it. The trick is to get a 5sp. The 05s LEs do NOT look like a economy car when sitting in the drivers seat. The lexus style gages gives the illusion of driving a more expensive car. The fake wood trip looks rather nice. Our 05 ecomony car is the first car we've ever owned that came with a in dash CD changer. It is really worth the extra cash if you can afford it. We got ours for 14K even with the $500 rebate, but we also got exacly what we wanted for our trade in. If you don't think the LE is in your budget, just try and offer less and they might just take it.

The performance of the car surprized me a little. Even tho the numbers are normal, I do not need to floor or rev the car to make it go. I am able to pass when I need to and I really am happy with the performace. I traded in a much faster car too, but I don't care. The quality makes up for any extra HP I lost.

The cars ride could be much improved with a nice set of shoes, or um rims and tires. The stock tires scream with just a little spirated driving. With some nice gun metal rims, and leather seats http://www.autoleathers.com/HTML2/AL.MAIN.FS.html , the car would truly be a baby lexus.

Max

Hmmm. Looks like leather seating is no longer a factory option on the LE, per the Toyota site.

• 1,424 posts
Hmmm.  Looks like leather seating is no longer a factory option on the LE, per the Toyota site.

Click on the options tab on the left hand side of the Corolla page. If you scroll down to the LE packages/options section, you'll see the Leather Trim Package listed. It includes tan leather seating surfaces, tan leather door panel inserts, tan leather wrapped steering wheel, as well as chrome door handles, cruise control, and an electrochromatic rear-view mirror.

To the best of my knowledge, Toyota never listed the leather interior in the "Models and Prices" or the "Build and Price" sections of their web-site. I don't know why they only list it in the "Options" section, but I can say without a doubt that the '05 can indeed be purchased with a leather interior. I've seen three '05 LEs with leather. In fact, my dealer tried to sell me the tan leather when I ordered my '05 LE, but I turned it down because I thought it would look ugly to have a tan leather interior with a sliver exterior.

Back to the original subject. The Corolla is an economy car. It's purpose is to take us from point A to B affordably, and without incident. It is not meant to be the Ultimate Driving Machine like a BMW. The Corolla is also a Toyota, which means it will lean towards understated, conservative looks, rather than gaudy, flashy look of cars like a Trans-Am. However, that doesn't mean I'd call it boring.

Max

Thanks 99. Yep- I was looking in the build and price section. And you are right, beige and silver is a really bad combo. Wonder why they don't offer black?

• 1,424 posts
Thanks 99. Yep- I was looking in the build and price section. And you are right, beige and silver is a really bad combo. Wonder why they don't offer black?

My guess would be that Toyota, in it's infinate wisdom has decided that they will see how tan leather sells on the Corolla before they offer other colors. They don't want to lose money by coming out with three colors of leather interiors, (which would increase manufacturing complexity, and therefore cost), and then finding out that the leather just won't sell on a Corolla. Instead, they are testing the market, and will add additional colors if the market will support it.

Look at the competition. Honda doesn't offer leather in the Civic. I've never seen a Focus with leather, though it is available. The Sentra (Non SE-R) doesn't offer leather. I've never seen a Neon or Cavalier with leather either. The new Mazda 3s can be equipped with leather, but only in Black, and only with certain exterior colors.

Ti-Jean

My GF has a 01 Protegé ES automatic. She bought the car new.

Car has only 52000 km and the 3rd, yes, 3rd rebuilt transmission has been installed in her car 2 weeks ago. Fortunately, the 5 yr powetrain warranty still covers that.

But that's not all. The EGR valve failed and was replaced twice. Cost around $300. the last time. One rear drum brake seized while the car sat in the garage. Ditto the alternator and a broken belt. Another $600. from her pocket.

Front brakes were finished (pads and rotors at 41000 km. $300.

A link bar was also replaced in the front suspension at the last pit stop.

Man, that is certainly not a boring car...!!!??? default_unsure

Guess what her next car will be?

She wants a Matrix. Or I may press for the 06 Civic.

And you can bet that the Mazda will definitely be traded before the 5 yr powetrain warranty runs out.

By the way, her loaner car the last time was a loaded 05 Focus wagon with leather and everything.

Avoid the leather. Feels like vinyl and is slippery as hell. Powertrain is good but the remainder of the car leaves a lot to be desired.

Honda and Toyota can sleep tight.

Topic List