Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2000 Toyota Corolla Ce - Manual Transmission

By Clayton, October 12, 2010

This is my girlfriends car, I have never worked on it before. I've done some work on my automatic 97 Jeep GC.

I'm not sure what may have broken. After leaving our house this morning, driving on city streets, there was a strange burning smell coming in through the vents, we thought it was from the truck in front of us.

Once on the the first highway the Corolla the smell was still present though not very strong. After merging onto another highway we shifted from 3rd to 5th and once in 5 the burn smell became very strong and the gear did not seem to engage... we drove the rest of the way in 4th gear.

A few questions:

Is her transmission toast?

If so how much is a new or rebuilt manual transmission?

Is something wrong with the clutch?

If so how much?

Where is the transmission dip stick?

Can someone post a picture?

How come this car does not have an rpm counter?

Dan_H

That sounds like a slipping clutch. If it is in any gear, with your foot not on the clutch, and stepping on the gas revs the engine without the car changing speed as fast as the engine revs- have the clutch checked. It is made with material similar to brake pads and is considered a consumable item (should be good for 100K miles or more, though), so you're probably not looking at any kind of failure that requires replacing a transmission.

I also had a 1997 Grand Cherokee, and I'm curious-- are you on the original water pump? Mine was a V8, and I was on my 4th water pump by 150K/miles.default_blink

Thanks for the advice.

2nd water pump on the Jeep v8 at approximately 150k.

Between 130k and 140k everything from hoses to more substantial parts associated with coolant failed except for the heater core. When the hoses attached to the water pump failed they took out my starter. default_tongue

Interesting about the multiple failures of the waterpumps in the Jeep V8. I have a 1997 Dodge Dakota P/U with the 5.9L V8, and I've been going through water pumps like no tomorrow. Went through two the first 30K miles, and two more from then to the 80K miles the truck has now. Since we got the truck - just about every single part on that truck has been replaced, literally, all under factory and extended warranty. Three starters, two alternators, all hoses, radiator, heater core, rear axle three times, driveshaft, engine torn down twice for rings, interior bits and trim, electricals, A/C system, etc. I think the only part that was original was the integrated trailer hitch.

Used only Chrysler OEM Coolant (yellow color) and distilled water, flush and refill every 15K miles and always get a lot of mud coming out of the cooling system.

Does anyone know of a good writeup on replacing a clutch?

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)