Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Broke The 10K Ownership Mark On My 10 Year Old Ve Today

By Spyder, September 2, 2010

10k and no failed starts, breakdowns, or major repairs. Since taking possession, other than routine maintenance items and frequent OCs, I've replaced a $12 PCV valve. I've also managed to (almost completely) cure a cold start and rough idle problem, lifter tick, diminished power, slow acceleration and hestitation. I've also reversed the sludge problem I inherited with the car and expect the engine to be clean by spring, without using any drastic measures like flushing, etc. The above was done by replacing the PCV valve, cleaning the MAF sensor and throttle body, and running a Regane cycle. Also cured a sulphur leaking battery (cleaned, greased, reclamped and no deposits since).

I still have an oil consumption issue to deal with and over the winter I'll need to find some new all season tires for next year (8 year old dry rot in the A/S tires it came with won out 8k after buying the car, so I'm using the winters for now - on a bit early but they're in good shape). Some symptoms are cropping up that are pointing to a looming brake job (likely front pads & rotors) in the nea future, but brakes are also standard maintenance items and I was hard on them when I first got the car.

I'm pretty impressed with this car (my first Toyota) and am expecting several more years of dependable service from it. I have some things to try on the oil consumption front, but even if nothing works I can feed it Supertech at an extra cost of a couple bucks in oil topups per month and easily live with that. As I haven't tackled that issue yet, I'm not resigned to that route yet.h Other things to try first: MMO in the gas, MMO piston soak, and switching to MaxLife. Only if none of that works will I resign myself to buying cheap oil in bulk & just continuining to feed its thirst (kind of like Saturn fans do, but I think the Corolla is a better car default_wink.

-Spyder

Topic List