Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2002 Corolla Power Window Stuck Down

by joejoezz, July 8, 2010

Hi all,

We have a 2002 Corolla with 138,000 miles. Runs like new.

However, the drivers side power window has decided to malfunction. At first, we noticed that it would sometimes get stuck on the way up. Later, it more frequently would stick--only going up a little at a time. Sometimes turning the car off and then back on would help, but usually you just have to wait a few minutes and try to push it up again.

I do not think the switch is the problem since it goes down fine. Most likely the motor, but I'm not 100% sure. Any idea on other things I could try?

Thanks!

First, I'd peel that inner door panel off and then remove the access panel to get a good look at the inner workings of the door. Could be a simple case of not enough lubrication on the contact points inside and on the window regulator itself, adding an unnecessary load to the motor. You can also inspect the wiring running to the motor itself, note if any of the wiring is damaged. You can power the motor directly with 12V and see if there is a wiring issue at hand, bypassing the wiring through the door and the switch.

First, I'd peel that inner door panel off and then remove the access panel to get a good look at the inner workings of the door. Could be a simple case of not enough lubrication on the contact points inside and on the window regulator itself, adding an unnecessary load to the motor. You can also inspect the wiring running to the motor itself, note if any of the wiring is damaged. You can power the motor directly with 12V and see if there is a wiring issue at hand, bypassing the wiring through the door and the switch.

Thanks for the reply. Do you know the best way to get the door panel off, or is there a guide somewhere that I can look at? Thanks.

Should be a DIY with pics on this forum somewhere. Pretty straightforward - take the door handle off, pry off windows switch, take the door armrest off (pry up the top cushion to screws underneath), remove the visible screw that is by the door's edge. There are 7 clips that ring the bottom half of the door, if you pry the door liner slighly away from the door, you should be able to see the clips and easily pop them. Use a taped screwdriver or puttyknife to pry them apart (masking tape helps prevent scratching).

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)