Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Radio Display Not Working

Guest sjames2

Hello Everyone!

First of, this is a great forum.

My problems is as follows:

Some time back, I had a auxillary box installed onto the radio unit of my 2006 Corolla CE. The aux-box allowed me to play the music on my MP3 player on my car speakers. It worked fine with no problems for a couple of years.

However, because of wear and tear, the wire which connects to the heaphone input on my MP3 player began to wear out (the 3.5 mm headphone jack was literally dangling on by a thread). The wire is a standard 8-pin Large DIN connector. The wire was replaced. No soldering was required - the wire simply plugs into the aux-box. It worked for several days. A couple of times, I heard a "pop" when I started the engine (likely due to the volume being set really high). Then after a few days, the radio and clock both stopped working.

What I have done so far:

1) I removed the radio and checked all visible connectors. I did not check any internal radio fuses (I do not know how). But everything looked OK. All plugs and connectors were tightly secured.

2) I replaced the DOME and CIG 15A fuses in the fuse box in the engine compartment and the fuse box located on the driver's side left kick panel. The CIG fuse was definitely blown. The DOME fuse was possibly blown. I could'nt tell because it had a lot of dirt on it. It was replaced anyway. I have seen on other sites where the DOME fuse also controls the radio/CD, so for this reason as well I replaced it.

The clock works now. But the radio/CD unit does not work completely.

Specifically, the radio does not turn on (I do not get any radio reception and the digital display does not turn on (the part of the radio that displays radio stations)), also when I select the CD changer (This option is available on Toyota factory radio/CD units. It is meant to connect to a CD changer that would be installed in the trunk of the car. The car did not come with a CD changer. So now the aux-box is connected to this option. When I select the CD changer, my car speakers play whatever is playing on my MP3 player).

But the CD player portion does work. When I insert a CD, it plays. Also the digital display displays standard CD information such as track number, time elapsed, etc...

I know I could just replace everything, but I am already $35 into this fix and I would like to see it work with what I have done so far.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

So basically the headunit still "works" - just the tuner portion (AM/FM) is non-functional. Could try the old reboot - pull power completely off the headunit, easiest way is to disconnect the negative battery terminal for a minute or so. Reapply power and the headunit should cycle and do a self-test. Check and see if the display is back ON, if it is working, Great - if not, there is a good chance that the tuner portion is cooked. The cost to tear the unit apart and fix that blown circuit would likely cost more than just replacing it outright.

Guest sjames2

So basically the headunit still "works" - just the tuner portion (AM/FM) is non-functional. Could try the old reboot - pull power completely off the headunit, easiest way is to disconnect the negative battery terminal for a minute or so. Reapply power and the headunit should cycle and do a self-test. Check and see if the display is back ON, if it is working, Great - if not, there is a good chance that the tuner portion is cooked. The cost to tear the unit apart and fix that blown circuit would likely cost more than just replacing it outright.

Thanks. I just tried this and does not work.

So, even fixing it for the fun of it would be waste of time, huh?

Unless you get really lucky (ie. notice a blown component or burned trace right off the bat) - not a whole lot you can do with the headunit, repair wise. Most of the older discrete components have disappeared in favor of surface mount and integrated chips. They hardly silkscreen part numbers on the plastic chips and most of the "working" bits are heavily potted over - real tough to dig that epoxy out of there.

Still, might a worth a shot of just open it up and poke around a bit. Make sure you pull power before you remove/install the headunit. I've seen a number of installs where they accidentally shorted something out by pulling/installing audio equipment. All it takes is to pinch the right wire to ruin your day.

I am with Fish, unless you have time to kill,

it will prob be easier/faster to get a new radio.

You might be able to find a used OE radio on-line, but its prob a good time to upgrade.

good luck

tdk.

Topic List