Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1998 Toyota Corolla Automatic Starter Etc

By richs20a, May 25, 2010

Hi, got a corolla auto that is a 1.6 ltr. It has not started a few times over the last week or two. Waiting a minute etc usually helps.

Last night though it wont start at all.

The battery checks out fine.

I want to check the park/neutral sensor, but dont know where it is or how to check it.

Id also like to know where the relay and/or fuse is for it !

Anyone help? Im getting the started checked right now, just in case.

Cheers. Rich

Need a bit more information here.

When you try and start the car, does the starter turn over?

Do you hear any clicking noises when you crank the key to start?

Have you tried jumping the car when it doesn't want to start?

How old is the battery? How was it checked?

To test out the park/neutral sensor - try starting in park and neutral - see if anything changes. The sensor itself is on the transaxle, just look for a large, fan shaped module on the side of the transaxle - should be a cable attached to a lever on the outside of the module.

Starter relay is under the hood - should be under one of the covered boxes that line the side of the engine compartment. As they don't sell a 1998 1.6L Corolla here in the US, I'm not sure if the layout is similar to our 8th gen Corollas (1998-2002) or our 7th gen Corollas (1993-1997).

More likely, are intermittent connections at the starter itself (double check the power cables from the battery) and/or the starter contacts.

Ok, heres more info and what i have found.........

The starter is ok, took it off and got it checked, , battery is new. I have also checked the neutral/park switch and hot fed into it, and the car starts fine.

So, the problem is between the ignition switch feed, ign switch out at start, or relay and to the neut switch.

I know there are some relays by the driver foot well, and when I turn the ign key there are some wierd noises under there some where. Sure that the relay isnt there? Or is that a result or the power to or from the ign switch ?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm............... HELP !

There is the ignition relay that is under the dash - that is probably what is making the "clicking" or "ticking" noise as you crank the key. Note that even if it makes noise, the relay itself could still be bad or the connections from the relay itself are not getting to where they need to be.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)