Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Used 2005 Corolla With Several Issues, Should Car Dealer Pay?

By bigwebb83, May 18, 2010

I bought a used 2005 toyota corolla from a dealership in Kansas City a week ago. It had 57,000 miles on it. Immediately there were issues. The main issue was this, they sold me a car with a bad battery and they knew it. The first day after we bought the car my sister drives to work and then when she gets in to go home it seems like the battery was dead. So she calls me and I tell her I will call the dealer since she works close by. I called and told them that they had sold me a car with a bad battery, and the salesman immediately said, "oh no the battery's not dead just tighten the cables". I thought it was odd that he seemed so sure but sure enough the cables were lose. The problem was the cables would not tighten down all the way because they had scrubbed the battery so hard that several milimeters had been taken off the diameter of the terminals. So long story short the battery didn't charge back up right during driving and within a week the battery was no good and I had to get another one at advanced for $93.

Next issue, after a few days of driving my sister reallized that the seatbelt in the center seat of the back seat row had been CUT OFF with scissors. I don't know if this thing will even pass inspection with that!!! Either way I should be able to reasonably assume that any car I buy for street use is going to have all seat belts in tact right?

Those are the two main issues. A couple other minor issues: the drivers side floor mat was missing, the window runner on the drivers side had folded up into itself which apparently is a common problem but I had to immediately pay to fix that ($100). That ac blower squeaks and squeals all the time. I don't think any of these issues are things I should've had to expect with a car this young. And even though I might be out of luck (I'll let you guys advise) on some of the smaller issues I feel strongly that they need to pay me for the new battery and fix or pay for the seat belt issue.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

did she not even look at the car before she bought it?

obviously yes. but the battery connection was not something you could really see just by opening the hood and they had the center seatbelt in the rear tucked down. The window runner was just something we missed and didn't notice until getting on the interstate at speeds above 70. Thank you for not contributing to this thread...

my point is that it was sold as is probably and as such its entirely upto her to check the car out. a mechanic would have caught the battery condition and a thorough inspection by her would have seen the seat belt, as well as a complete test drive would have flagged the wind noise issue. sounds like she didn't take the time or care to be thorough and wants someone else to make up for it. its her burden now, not theirs.

The battery issue may have been done by the previous owner, was the car bought at auction? Those dealers often do quick and dirty fixes, sometimes just to get it down the auction lane. And as far as the seatbelt, sound like the old owner to me!

I suggest next time have Firestone look at it, they will find $2-3000.00 that needs done(needless)so you can use as a bargaining chip!

well I've checked with the DMV and state attorney general and its illegal to sell a passenger car that wont pass inspection. And no, this car wont pass inspection in Kansas or Missouri.

• 149 posts

Did the dealer (is it a Toyota dealer ??) give you a warranty on this vehicle or is it "as is" ??

They'll say thay YOU cut the belt out of it.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)