Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Right Shifting Time In A 2001 Corolla

Guest colinyost

I was wondering what the rpms should be to have a good shift and to save gas? I have a 2001 Corolla S dual overhead cam, 16-valve aluminum alloy inline 4-cylinder with VVT-i variable valve timing 1.8 liters

It really will depend on the driving conditions. There is no "set" RPMs to shift at for fuel economy, as they will be different depending on the situation. Generally speaking, the sooner you get up to cruise speed while staying within the lower end of the powerband (2000-3000 RPMs) and upshifting to the highest gear that will not cause the engine to lug (too low RPMs), the better your fuel economy will be.

I generally shift around 3000-3500 RPMs on the Matrix, but that tends to run a little higher (2ZZ-GE engine vs the 1ZZ-FE in the Corolla). Takes some experimenting to find out what works the best for you. As long as you are not banging off the rev-limiter or screaming around town the car running 4000-6000 RPMs, you shouldn't have too much of an issue getting smooth driving and good fuel economy.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)