Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By enotoga, November 21, 2004

I've notice the following:

When stopped in either park or drive, with the fan on (either with or without AC or heat) the engine idle will bounce (increase) every 20-30 seconds or so, and then quickly return to normal. However, if the fan is off, this problem is gone.

I believe this is a vacumm issue and not a computer thing. Has anyone else noticed this?? Is it normal?

By the way, Larry Roll, I've done oil changes in that garage on Dover (used to be stationed there). Nice facility. And you're right about stereotypes - they exist because they're generally true.

By the way, Larry Roll, I've done oil changes in that garage on Dover (used to be stationed there).  Nice facility.  And you're right about stereotypes - they exist because they're generally true.

enotoga:

When were you stationed at Dover AFB? What did you do there? Which squadron were you in? I was the Superintendent of Import Freight, 436 APS, from Apr. '93 to my retirement in Dec. '94. I stayed in Dover because I didn't feel like returning to Buffalo NY in order to pay high taxes and shovel snow 5 months a year! The DAFB Auto Hobby Shop is a good facility, one of the better ones I've seen in the Air Force. I also use the one at Andrews AFB occasionally, just for a change of scene and because I was stationed there from '78 to '83, so I feel a connection.

Max

My car does the same bouncing idle thing with the fan on- especially when I'm using the defroster.

Guest Toyota-san

My car does the same bouncing idle thing with the fan on- especially when I'm using the defroster.

It will to an extent as the AC compressor cycles on and off during defrost. Also in split mode (part of the air going to the windshield and part to the floor). This is by design, domestic cars have operated this way for years. Its to allow faster defogging of the windows by drying out the incoming air a bit before warming it via the heater core. nevertheless, this should only be a slight fluctuation.

I think you made the right decision to stay in Dover. Buffalo is not my favorite place. I was with the 436th AMS between 82 and 86. Spent many nights on the "flight line" as an aircraft electrician, fixing C5s.

My two favorite planes were "triple duece" (AKA 222) and balls 3 (AKA 003). I see them every once in a while on TV during airshow or war footage.

Max - I'm glad to here I'm not the only one with a bouncing idle. It's kind of weird, and sometimes if my foot isn't pushing hard enough on the brake pedal, it's enough of a bounce to move the car.

Max

I drive a manual, so when stopped I'm always in neutral with my foot on the brake, so that hasn't been a problem. And no, mine isn't a big fluctuation at all. The only thing this car does that is noticeable (to the point of embarr****ment) is the incredibly high, loud idle on a cold morning. People on the street actually look at my car, as if they are wondering why I am sitting at the light with the pedal to the metal. Here again, the car is doing what it must to be efficient.

I'd be afraid of the enigne racing excessively while cold. We're talking around 2000 RPM, or is it higher?

Max

No, it's around 2k, but man is it loud. Cuts right back down to normal as soon as the car is warm enough.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)