Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2006 Corolla Antilock Braking System

By macc, December 31, 2009

This concerns a 2006 corolla. Im the original owner, When you hit the brakes hard on a snowy surface the antilock braking system clangs and bangs and just sounds awful. I dont drive on snow much. I finally got around to calling the service dept. of the local dealer and they said that for it to sound like that is normal. There isn't any loud noises on dry surfaces or rainy surfaces. Just on the snow. Are they telling me the truth ?

Don't know about clanging and banging, but the only time you notice you have anti-lock brakes is when the wheel locks up on slippery surfaces like ice and snow. Basically what happens is the system is trying "pump" the brakes, applying and releasing, on the wheel that's locking up megatimes a second to keep it from locking up so you have better control of the vehicle. My 07 has them and it's sort of a buzzing noise to me when it occurs. I know the older systems on some cars sound quite violent- clanging and banging- I was actually quite amazed how smooth the system operated. It works quite effectively. It won't happen on dry pavement, occurs ocasionally on rainy surfaces.

The system on my Matrix does make a bit of noise and you can feel the brake pedal pulsing through the ABS actuation. But like madar mentioned, a lot less noisy than what they used to be. ABS actuation in the Matrix sounds like someone ripping denim or fabric, mixed in with a little bit of brake groaning - pulses vibrate fairly quickly - this was all on packed snow/ice. If you were on a mixed traction surface (some snow, some ice, some clear areas) - I'd assume you get a little more noise/vibration. As long as the ABS lamp doesn't come on - you are good to go. Sounds normal to me.

Don't know about clanging and banging, but the only time you notice you have anti-lock brakes is when the wheel locks up on slippery surfaces like ice and snow. Basically what happens is the system is trying "pump" the brakes, applying and releasing, on the wheel that's locking up megatimes a second to keep it from locking up so you have better control of the vehicle. My 07 has them and it's sort of a buzzing noise to me when it occurs. I know the older systems on some cars sound quite violent- clanging and banging- I was actually quite amazed how smooth the system operated. It works quite effectively. It won't happen on dry pavement, occurs ocasionally on rainy surfaces.

thank you for your response. . try to reciprocate in the future if I can.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)