Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Guest willrona

My tire pressure alert keeps coming on in my 06 Corolla S - each time it does, I check the pressure - and all tires are btwn 35 and 36 psi ( a winter-appropriate level says my dealer). This has never been an issue before. In the past, when the light would come on there was a legitimate issue . . .

Here are the only two variables: My tires were rotated at the dealer a month ago and I had a leak repaired 2 weeks ago.

Any thoughts? I really appreciate your help!

Guest willrona

Nevermind! I found this information:After tire rotation or wheel change, the TPMS must be initialized. To do this, you have the car in park and hold the reset button until it flashes 3 times and then release. Initialization is completed after driving at the speeds of 30 km/h (19 mph) or over for more than one hour. Just thought I'd post an answer to my own question in case someone else has the same problem.

Hello and Welcome to the forums.

Did you reset the TPMS each time? Most Toyotas have that button in the glove compartment - have to cycle the ignition ON, press and hold the TPMS reset for several seconds, until the TPMS warning flashes on the cluster. This applyes to both direct and indirect types - some cars do not have a self reset/relearning mode - those have be brought back to the dealership.

Not sure when the Corolla switched over to a direct TPMS setup. Some model years that had the indirect/direct switch over was around the 2006-2007 model year. By 2008 - all cars and light trucks are required to run a direct TPMS system. A quick way to check is to look at the valve stem - if it has a little nut against the wheel, then it is likely a direct type. If it looks like a conventional rubber pull-through type - probably indirect.

Where was a the tire repaired, dealership or tire shop? Did they note if they had to remove the TPMS for any reason (assuming direct sensor)? Rotating the tires, on a direct system, can cause some headaches - as some require the RFID tag to be modified to correspond to relative corner locations (i.e., LF tire swapped with LR can cause the ECM to get confused).

Most Toyotas have that button in the glove compartment - have to cycle the ignition ON, press and hold the TPMS reset for several seconds, until the TPMS warning flashes on the cluster.

Is this true of 2009 Corollas as well? My warning light has been coming on more frequently as of late. The car was just in for service less than a week ago, and the tires were legitimately low. The tires were rotated and inspected for any damage or punctures, and there were none. They set them all to 32 PSI, and the light went off. Today it's been on all day. The service guy at my dealer gave me a story about how it comes on in cooler weather, but I didn't have this happen at all last year.

If I can reset this myself, that would be great. I'm leaving for a long road trip on Thursday, and while I know the warning is erroneous, I'd like it to be off.

Nevermind! I found this information:After tire rotation or wheel change, the TPMS must be initialized. To do this, you have the car in park and hold the reset button until it flashes 3 times and then release. Initialization is completed after driving at the speeds of 30 km/h (19 mph) or over for more than one hour. Just thought I'd post an answer to my own question in case someone else has the same problem.
You got it, have the same problem with mine after tire rotations, light always goes on and I have to reinitialize the system. More of a bother than anything else.....I usually get out and check tire pressures before I realiize why it's happening.

Most Toyotas have that button in the glove compartment - have to cycle the ignition ON, press and hold the TPMS reset for several seconds, until the TPMS warning flashes on the cluster.

Is this true of 2009 Corollas as well? My warning light has been coming on more frequently as of late. The car was just in for service less than a week ago, and the tires were legitimately low. The tires were rotated and inspected for any damage or punctures, and there were none. They set them all to 32 PSI, and the light went off. Today it's been on all day. The service guy at my dealer gave me a story about how it comes on in cooler weather, but I didn't have this happen at all last year.

If I can reset this myself, that would be great. I'm leaving for a long road trip on Thursday, and while I know the warning is erroneous, I'd like it to be off.

That is correct. I believe that on the Corolla/Matrix - it is a button right underneath the steering column finish panel, almost directly above your right knee, when you are seated in the car. Car in Park, press and hold the TPMS reset button until it flashes 3 times and then release. Light will come on if there were recently rotated or tire pressures changed. Happened a couple of times on my 2009 Matrix XRS, as I'm still trying to figure out the optimal tire air pressure with the OEM BFG tires.

Thanks all, I found the switch and did the routine. The light didn't go off right away, but did after I drove for a bit. Let's hope it stays off. default_smile

I was actually discussing this very topic with my wife tonight.

We just signed papers on my wife's new 2010 Matrix last night (taking delivery on Monday), and I'm wondering what we'll do about snow tires for the winter. I'd like to buy a blizzak/wheel set from tirerack, but apparently the TPMS sensors are another $290 in addition to the package!! Is there a way to disable TPMS when running tires that don't have the sensors, or am I just going to be messing with the computer too much? I guess the other option is to just swap out snows on the original steels, but then we're paying $50 every time they come on or off.

Advice? Anything I should know about the Matrix that might be different from my 9th gen corolla as far as maintenance is concerned?

~Chris

06 Corolla (silver)

(soon) 2010 Matrix (nautical blue)

We just signed papers on my wife's new 2010 Matrix last night (taking delivery on Monday), and I'm wondering what we'll do about snow tires for the winter. I'd like to buy a blizzak/wheel set from tirerack, but apparently the TPMS sensors are another $290 in addition to the package!! Is there a way to disable TPMS when running tires that don't have the sensors, or am I just going to be messing with the computer too much? I guess the other option is to just swap out snows on the original steels, but then we're paying $50 every time they come on or off.

Advice? Anything I should know about the Matrix that might be different from my 9th gen corolla as far as maintenance is concerned?

~Chris

06 Corolla (silver)

I don't know about the 2010, but my 07 has a system based on monitoring revolutions of the wheel, theory being a tire loosing air has a smaller circumference than the other tires. The system sees this as a wheel spinning at a faster speed and thinks the said tire is loosing air. It doesn't have wheel sensors so I can treat tire/wheel buying like a regular car. Check into how your system operates first before ordering anything special.

~Chris

06 Corolla (silver)

Congrats on the new purchase! I'm sure you'll be pleased with the new car, once you get used to the little quirks, including the TPMS setup. Unlike your 2006 Corolla, this 2010 Matrix uses individual sensors on each wheel. Makes it much more accurate and able to adapt to a number of tires (once the computer relearns them). Drawback is now you have 4 individual sensors that you have to account for or the system is flash the warning lamp.

There isn't a good way to "disable" the TPMS, just the way it is designed. That said, there are some tricks that can be used to not see the TPMS on all the time. One is to park the car close to the tires with the TPMS when you are on the snow tires. The TPMS communicates wirelessly to the sensors and is "good" for 20 minutes or so. If you commute is relatively short - you can drive back and forth and the computer will "think" the monitors are still there.

Other option is to just ignore the TPMS warning lamp when you have snow tires on. Needless to say, you need to stay on-top of the tire pressure.

The only other option is to take the expensive course and buy additional sensors or swap them off the other wheels.

Thanks for the info... kinda what I figured would be the case with the TPMS. I am the TPMS sensor for my Corolla, and I've never had an issue with tire pressure affecting my driving, since I stay on top of it so closely. I think we'll probably just mount snows on her original steels every year, as the cost of the TPMS sensors and extra steels will equal about 4 or 5 seasons of swapping out tires at the shop. Thank god for Toyota's free two year maintenance, as it would kill me to pay to have her tires rotated by Toyota every 5k.

So far I like the Matrix, although my only basis for comparison is a test drive and a short drive to the market last night. The brakes are a lot better then what my corolla has, and its seems as though Toyota fixed the touchy gas pedal that plagued earlier models. The interior around the driver feels a bit more cramped, but I think that's a result of the larger/higher console and deeper gauge cluster. Seats are definitely better then what I have!

Bikeman982

TPMS - it flashes when I turn the car on then goes solid. It's on all the time when I drive. I tried pushing the underdash button (2012 Toyota Corolla S). Is it possible one or more of the sending units (on the tire valves) is/are bad? Where is the receiver located? How can I check the system? I have checked and changed all tire pressures. The tires indicate good for 51 PSI but the door decal recommends only 32 PSI for the tires. Which one should I use? Why won't this light go out!!

Bikeman982

1. Am I correct that the light is only supposed to come on if the tire pressure is low? I put 50 PSI in all the tires and the light is still on.

2. I pressed and held the reset switch but the light NEVER went out.

3. I let go of the switch. The light stayed on.

4. The light always flashes at first, then stays on. It never goes away.

5. It never reset.

6. I probably have an issue with a speed sensor, TPMS, ECU or ABS or cluster?

Spare tire tends to gradually deflate over time. Make sure it's at 60 psi cold.

To reset the TPMS system; turn the ignition on, press and hold down the TPMS button. The tire light on the dash will begin to flash. After it has flashed 3 times, the light will go out... The TPMS system has now been reset.

Bikeman982

Maybe I should check the spare tire pressure?

Maybe I should check the spare tire pressure?

Yes, most definitely... It must be inflated to 60 psi.

Bikeman982

I checked the spare tire and it does not have a TPMS valve. It must be one of the sensors in one of the tires. Do I have to take it somewhere to get them checked?

Bikeman982

No sensor in the spare.

Guest dannyy06

does anyone knows where the TPMS module located in a 2015 Corolla?

• 320 posts

Check by the defroster wall, back seat, on the passenger side (right side, if you're in the car looking ahead). It's a little thing. 

What's with the white background?

Topic List