Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Hood Of 2001 Corolla Wont Open

by kulkarni_ash, October 26, 2009

kulkarni_ash

i was trying to see if there is thing i can see visually under the hood, but when i try to open the hood it wont open, i can pull the lever but i don't see any noise under the hood which indicate it has unlocked the hood, i did replace air filter 1 week ago and was able to open the hood at that time.

what do i do?

Sounds like the latch or cable release is stuck of the cable got stretched out to much. You can open the hood by fiddling with the latch through the grille or from under the bumper, if your arms are long enough.

kulkarni_ash

I am able to open the hood, but need some to hold the latch from inside and then i can open, it wont automatically popup, is there a fix for this issue

Could be a simple issue with lubrication on the mechanism. Assuming the hood doesn't have any physical issue, i.e. alignment problems and the latch assembly doesn't have an excessive amount of corrosion on it.

Could also be age of the car, as on my Corolla, the hood doesn't "pop" up as high as it used to. When I pull on the hood release, the hood barely moves, but you can feel and hear the mechanism release the hood. I usually end up pulling up the hood by hand then release the hood latch via the lever inside.

WD40

Strange, my father's 00' or 01' does the same. No sound heard when pulling the hood release but at the end of the hood, I can lift it and disengage the latch. On my 93' though, easily heard and hood "pops" up. His car is more noticeably dirtier than mine. default_smile

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)