Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2000 Corolla Obdii Problem

Guest Albert Engel

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum. I'm having trouble with my Dad's 2000 Corolla. He's been ignoring the check engine light for a while and surprise surprise, it failed the emissions test. I took it down to the AutoZone to see what the OBDII trouble code was. However, the reader didn't even come on. The autozone guy said he had used the reader earlier that day and it worked. I tried replacing the OBD fuse but that didn't seem to do anything.

I tried following a thread (here). I tried testing the connector but had no luck. I'm going to go see if a pin will help reach the connectors. I wasn't seeing any voltage in the connectors with the vehicle on but without the engine on. So I guess my questions are:

1. Will the generic OBDII reader work? i.e. there isn't any special coding on the 2000 corolla to prevent their machine from recognizing it

2. Does the motor need to be one to check OBD codes?

3. Are the 1997 and the 2000 likely to have the similar harness connection?

4. Where should I go from here?

Guest Albert Engel

Update.

Just noticed the forum post claims connector is wider part upwards. In my vehicle, the connector is rotated 180 degrees. Testing the corresponding wires (4,5,7 and 16) that direction proved to work and they all tested within the specified values. So I'm convinced there is something wrong with autozone's reader.

K_Watson

When plugged in, Autozone's readers are powered by the car through the connector. The connecter uses the same fuse as the cigerette lighter, check that fuse.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)