Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Pt Cruiser?

By NILLINOIS, July 28, 2009

My idiot younger sister just bought a PT Cruiser. She never consults anyone for opinions. I've heard from some tow truck drivers that these things are always breaking down. What other horrors can she expect that i rub in her face? I've read they start 'consuming' oil after a year or two.

• 1,424 posts
My idiot younger sister just bought a PT Cruiser. She never consults anyone for opinions. I've heard from some tow truck drivers that these things are always breaking down. What other horrors can she expect that i rub in her face? I've read they start 'consuming' oil after a year or two.

My last boss had one, man was it a POS.

Hers had about 60k on it and it was about 4 years old, the following SERIOUS issues occurred with that car:

Transmission failed twice

Fuel pump failed at 30k, was failing again at 55k

Car burnt a quart of oil every 1000 miles

BOTH rear doors would not open FROM THE INSIDE OR OUTSIDE

Power steering pump died

Power steering rack had to be replaced because of leaks

Exhaust rusted off the car

Starter died

Other minor problems included numerous squeaks and rattles that could not be fixed, electrical issues that cause the gauge cluster to intermittently stop working, and paint that liked to jump off the car. That of course excludes the design issues with the car like the fact that anything that pulls up nest to you and opens their door into your car is going to leave a nasty dent because of the placement of the rub strips, or the fact that the visibility from the driver's seat is poor.

Tell your sister good luck, she bought a car built in Mexico.

+1 on the PT Cruisers are also known to be heavy oil burners too. Many start before they hit 50K miles - oil gelation (sludge) is also an issue on the cars - might be worth a check before too soon, so that she will know if she wants to hold onto it or dump it ASAP.

What year is the PT Cruiser - as problems tend to follow the model year. Supposedly 2001 is the one of the worst years to get. 2001-2003 seems to be the trouble years - but doesn't mean that the other years are immune. The 2005 has a ton of recalls - about as many as the 2001 model.

Everything from rusting brake lines, to damaged hoses (hose contacts various components and gets chewed through), to faulty power steering pumps (power steering hose touches transaxle), to suspect balljoints and wheel bearings, to overall shoddy fit and finish. Electricals are a nightmare on the PT Cruisers. Poor quality paint is also a sore spot for many.

Safety is a big issue - even though it looks pretty sturdy. In side impact crash tests, the PT Cruise scored the lowest (IIHS: POOR rating) out of 7 compact cars that compete for it. Actually, some passed on the test, claiming that PT Cruiser was looked at wrongly. Chrysler actually market the PT Cruiser as a "light truck" to is doesn't have to meet the standards of cars close to its size.

i hate working on those things, they're up there with low end VW's in terms of my hate for them.

NILL did she buy it new or used? If new, I'd have her get an extended warranty. If used, I'd tell her to put it on Craig's list or eBay Motors ASAP, then get a Corolla! I have YET to hear anything positive from owners of PT Cruisers, but several of them got rid of their PT's after a very few years! My '03 Corolla is almost seven years old and still runs like new, with hardly any maintenance other than fluid/filter changes and tire rotations.

Your sister seems to have a lot in common with my own, whom I couldn't talk out of buying a VW Golf GTI. She had to have those heated seats!

Topic List: Go to Everything Else