Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Will A 1zz Tranny Fit On A 2zz Engine

by twiztid corolla June 29, 2009 in Performance, Engines, Engine Swaps, Cornering

like the title says will a 1zz tranny fit on a 2zz engine cuz i found a 2zz engine that im going to buy and i want to know if it will work or not

A 1ZZ-FE tranny will bolt up to a 2ZZ-GE engine - but keep in mind that the gearing will be way off from the powerband - basically be choking the 2ZZ-GE with that gearing.

The 2ZZ-GE has to be mated to a 6-speed manual (C60/C62) or 4-speed auto (U240E) from the Celica GT-S or 2003 Matrix XRS (only year Matrix that had an auto option). Otherwise, you may not take advantage of lift (will fall off of lift every gear change). Same goes for people swapping in 6-speeds to a 1ZZ-FE - though in that direction, not quite as bad as the 1ZZ-FE has a much broader torque range and pulls better at lower RPMs compared to the 2ZZ-GE.

my transmission is a 4 speed

The 2ZZ-GE will put a lot of strain on that 4-speed (assuming this is either the A245E or the A246E 4-speed transaxles in the 1998 to 2008 Corollas). Better to source the 6-speed for the 2ZZ-GE or if you need an automatic transaxle - pick up the U240E from the Celica GT-S or the Matrix XRS. They have a much higher stall speed on the torque converter and geared slightly differently - making it more suited for the powerband on the 2ZZ-GE.

wait wait, this is a NO. that automatic is electronically controlled by the engine computer, the engine computer from the 2zz will not run that automatic transmission.

you are getting a complete swap right? harness and computer right? theres no way to run the trans and 2zz here that are in common, you'll need to swap to a manual transmission.

yea im getti motor harness and ecu for the swap i would not mine a 6 speed tran but its for my wife and she cant drive a 6 speed im going to build my tranny for the 2zzge engine cuz im is givein out

I wouldn't spend any time or money building your 4-speed transaxle that was attached to the 1ZZ-FE - I'd pump that money into finding the 4-speed that was intended for the 2ZZ-GE in the first place. The 6-speeds are in pretty high demand, so you'll probably have a pretty decent shot at getting the 4-speed U240E from a Celica GT-S or Matrix XRS for cheap.

what part of your trans will not work with the GTS computer isnt hitting home? the A series transmission is vastly different than the U series, nothing will plug in or work. even if there is a U series transmission the 2zz and 1zz do not share the automatic.

you can either get the WHOLE 2zzge with auto transmission or use a 5 or 6 speed manual.

so u guys r saying it s not worth fixing my tran for the 2zzge just to get the right auto tran or get the 6 speed for it

Exactly - less headache in the end and right combination from the get go. More or less plug and play if you get the correct transaxle for the engine.

all i have to do is unplug the 1zz ecu and plug up the 2zz ecu

all i have to do is unplug the 1zz ecu and plug up the 2zz ecu
uh no, you'll need to change the wiring harness AND computer.

ok where does the engine harness run throw man im new at this corolla swap u ask me about a honda and ill tell u everything u need to know

Same here, I was a former Honda guy - this was way back before you could get prefabbed engine mounts and all the aftermarket goodies they have today. Toyota is definitely harder - as far as wiring goes. Definitely doable - has been done in the 8th gen Corolla, 9th gen Corolla, 7th gen Celica, and MKIII MR2 - but it is not for the faint of heart, best to have an entire clip from a donor car to swap parts from.

To swap a 2ZZ-GE into a Corolla that had the 1ZZ-FE, at the very minum you'll need the entire wiring harness from the 2ZZ-GE (this included the body harness - otherwise you'll have a wiring nightmare on your hands), correct ECM, and the transaxle (U240E if you want to stay with something that will work with the 2ZZ-GE - note that the ECMs are slightly different between the automatic and manual transaxles - if you got the ECM from a 6-speed 2ZZ-GE, you'll need to do some repinning of the wiring harness and solder in some discrete components to keep some functionality and no CEL. Even guys that swapped a 2ZZ-GE from a donor 2005-2006 Corolla into their own 2005+ 1ZZ-FE Corolla (same generation, body style, etc.) had a tough time making the swap work. Some body functions did not work - the 2ZZ-GE gauges didn't want to talk to the ECM sourced from the same car since some signal wires were missing in the 1ZZ-FE harness.

Not 100% sure if the hubs will accept the driveshafts from a 2ZZ-GE transaxle - most of the 8th gen Corolla to 2ZZ-GE swaps pulled the hubs from the donor car. That way they were guaranteed fitment and upgraded to a 5 lug hub from the original 4 lug.

i'd like to now point out that the 2zzge with the U240E is an absolute slow turd from a standing start. my 93 geo prizm 1.8L automatic has more go-go from a stop than my celica does.

costwise you could probably get a GTS auto for about what you may end up paying to do this swap correctly when it comes down to all the little odd bits, time, frustrations, etc.

k thankz guys so just get u240e and the ecu to run that tranny and ill b fine

Correct - don't forget the wiring too.

Curious - why the interest in the 2ZZ-GE? This a pet project with plans for big power down the road?

With all the work involved into getting it to fit in the Corolla - you could have dumped a built 1ZZ-FE that would probably get better day-to-day performance and better mileage (runs on regular gasoline instead of premium that the 2ZZ-GE requires) - plus none of the swap headaches.

cuz i was reading up on the 2zzge and what it could do and what u can replace  on it to get more horsepower out of it

Topic List: Go to Performance, Engines, Engine Swaps, Cornering