Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Guest Puneet

My 2000 year Corolla LE failed NJ state inspection in Dec 2008. The reason was emissions diagnostic code P0440.

I did not get it fixed then since I planned on getting rid of the car. However now it turns out I need a car. So the question is should I keep this car or get a new one.

If I decide to keep this car, is it possible for me to get it fixed and get it reinspected without any problems with suspension of registration of the car?

In terms of the cost/benefit analysis, my Toyota dealer gave me an estimate of around $1500 saying the fuel tank was corroded and some parts under the car. The car has 128K miles on it and is well maintained otherwise.

So assuming it is possible to fix the car and get it reinspected without any legal problems, does it make sense to do so financially vs. buying another car?

Thanks for your advice.

I'd suggest that the first thing to do would be to get more estimates, preferably from independent mechanics with experience in Toyotas. Any dealer's estimate will be high ball; you may find a more realistic point-of-view from independent shops.

Another thing is to evaluate what you can do yourself. Do you have any mechanical skills, and the ability to perform the necessary repairs? If so, the answer is obvious. If not, then we circle back to the first suggestion. I'd say if you can get your Corolla past the inspection for under a grand, you're doing OK, as replacing the car with something which is equivalent will certainly cost much more. Just common sense.

That's an evaporative control malfunction code. I would first get the code cleared and try running it for a while to see if it returns. The gas cap might not have been tight at some point after a refuel.

If the code does come back the evaporative purge solenoid may have failed and/or the canister is plugged.

Usually about $500 to $600 replace both the solenoid assembly and the canister as a unit.

I don't feel comfortable about the advice you received from the dealer. The solenoid area does get pretty rusty though. The solenoids can usually be replaced separately if you take the number off the solenoid and ask for that number at the dealer. I don't think they will offer up this information to you.

Good luck,

Jay in MA

My 2000 year Corolla LE failed NJ state inspection in Dec 2008. The reason was emissions diagnostic code P0440.

I did not get it fixed then since I planned on getting rid of the car. However now it turns out I need a car. So the question is should I keep this car or get a new one.

If I decide to keep this car, is it possible for me to get it fixed and get it reinspected without any problems with suspension of registration of the car?

In terms of the cost/benefit analysis, my Toyota dealer gave me an estimate of around $1500 saying the fuel tank was corroded and some parts under the car. The car has 128K miles on it and is well maintained otherwise.

So assuming it is possible to fix the car and get it reinspected without any legal problems, does it make sense to do so financially vs. buying another car?

Thanks for your advice.

That's an evaporative control malfunction code. I would first get the code cleared and try running it for a while to see if it returns. The gas cap might not have been tight at some point after a refuel.

If the code does come back the evaporative purge solenoid may have failed and/or the canister is plugged.

Usually about $500 to $600 replace both the solenoid assembly and the canister as a unit.

I don't feel comfortable about the advice you received from the dealer. The solenoid area does get pretty rusty though. The solenoids can usually be replaced separately if you take the number off the solenoid and ask for that number at the dealer. I don't think they will offer up this information to you.

Good luck,

Jay in MA

Thanks for your advice.

If the CEL returns after tightening the gas cap and clearing the code then it could just be the gas cap, which would be a cheaper fix worth trying first.

So far as keeping or selling I'd lean toward keeping since you only have 128k miles. It will cost less to fix than to replace since fixing it will keep it driving a long time yet. I'd get a second opinion from another mechanic. Could be a scare tactic trying to get extra money from you buying a fuel tank and parts that arent actually needed.

Good point.

Some shops also have equipment to test the cap.

Jay in MA

If the CEL returns after tightening the gas cap and clearing the code then it could just be the gas cap, which would be a cheaper fix worth trying first.

So far as keeping or selling I'd lean toward keeping since you only have 128k miles. It will cost less to fix than to replace since fixing it will keep it driving a long time yet. I'd get a second opinion from another mechanic. Could be a scare tactic trying to get extra money from you buying a fuel tank and parts that arent actually needed.

Bikeman982

California is strict on emission testing and many cars fail, until everything meets required amounts.

New Jersey is probably mandated to comply with similar emission standards.

It is usually cheaper to repair/replace, than to purchase another car.

Guest Puneet

Thanks to everyone who replied. I got the car reinspected and the dealer has reduced the price of fixing the car to about $1200 after resetting the codes and driving for around 200 miles. My main question to you guys is: given the delay in the getting the car fixed earlier within the 30 day time period, will it be ok to take the car for inspection now after all the repairs? Or will the NJ inspection station give me trouble for this?

Thanks.

That will be up to your DMV and inspection station - not sure in your area, best to call them directly and see what they say. I know when I failed emissions due to a CEL, I had to apply for an extension (30 days) and pay a small penalty fee - they didn't give me any problems but I also fixed everything just inside the extension period.

Yeah, Jersey just slaps a red Failed sticker on it and you have 30 days to get it fixed.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)