Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Windows 7?

By Bitter, May 9, 2009

I've got it dual booting along side Ubuntu 9.04 on my other machine here and I haven't played around with it very much yet. it seems like a quicker and easier to use form of vista, i hope that when its released it'll live upto what its developers are saying about it.

Ubuntu 9.04 boots REALLY fast, i set it up using ext4, but even as a n upgrade over an ext3 install of 8.10 it was a FAST booter. WOW!

I've got it dual booting along side Ubuntu 9.04 on my other machine here and I haven't played around with it very much yet. it seems like a quicker and easier to use form of vista, i hope that when its released it'll live upto what its developers are saying about it.

Ubuntu 9.04 boots REALLY fast, i set it up using ext4, but even as a n upgrade over an ext3 install of 8.10 it was a FAST booter. WOW!

Leo Laporte (The Tech Guy - www.techguylabs.com) says Win 7 is what Vista should have been in the first place. A lot lighter, faster, and with a much simpler, not over-done interface. I have deliberately skipped Vista and went to Ubuntu right around the time Vista came out, and got my iMac the following year (2007). About the only use I have for Windows now is to update my Magellan GPS (the software won't work on Mac OSX) and for some oddball ham radio apps that won't do OSX either.

On Ubuntu I tend to stick with the LTS versions; currently running ver. 8.04 Hardy Heron on a 2004 vintage Dell Dimension 8400, Intel Pentium 4, 3 GHz. Dual-booting Windows XP on separate drives. If Windows 7 doesn't cost an arm/leg, I'll replace the XP system for my "Windows only" apps.

I am not a professional computer user, I'm a Paratransit bus driver. I need a LOT of help with Ubuntu and learning Linux in general, but none of the "help" I've seen in books and on the forums is even remotely geared to people like me (non-geeks). I need step-by-step instructions that begin at the beginning EACH and EVERY time, ASSUME nothing about my abilities or presume I've learned anything from whatever it was that I did a few months ago, and haven't done since, and speak to me at the basic level without getting annoyed and/or annoying. Does anyone know of such a source of help for us non-pro computer geek wanna-be's?

the absolute beginners forum section at ubuntu forums would be your best bet probably.

9.04 boots so fast that i can press the power button and come back to a desktop ready to work by the time i walk 10ft to the fridge, grab some juice, and walk back, its done booting and probably has been since i first opened the fridge door.

I liked the beta version of a few months ago better than the RC. The RC seems to have reverted to much of Vista's bloat and slowness. Still, so far it's better than Vista, but on production machines I'll stick with XP Pro.

the absolute beginners forum section at ubuntu forums would be your best bet probably.

9.04 boots so fast that i can press the power button and come back to a desktop ready to work by the time i walk 10ft to the fridge, grab some juice, and walk back, its done booting and probably has been since i first opened the fridge door.

I find the Absolute Beginner's forum in the Ubuntu forum to be for people who are absolutely beginning their doctoral work in computer science. It is still geared toward people who have a lot of computer software knowledge coming in. It is definitely NOT geared toward non-power users, as it doesn't begin at the beginning each and every time they try to tell you how to do something. Us Absolute Beginners need cook-book type instructions that don't leave out the descriptions of any preliminary steps or assume that we remember how to do them. We may be able to do something once, but then there is usually a long passage of time, and what was learned/experienced is then lost. We need totally dumbed-down, line-by-line instructions with, again, NO STEPS IN ANY PROCESS LEFT OUT DUE TO AN ASSUMPTION THAT WE ALREADY KNOW HOW TO DO SIMPLE OR ROUTINE TASKS.

Apparently my iMac boots just a bit faster than Ubuntu 9.04. My Dell on Ubuntu 8.04 boots almost as fast as my iMac, and I'm still using Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger) -- I haven't upgraded to 10.5 Leopard, can't see any need to do so.

well the step by step guides in the wiki seem pretty good then. yes, on the forums they do assume that you know what the terminal interface is and where to get to it

Topic List: Go to Everything Else