Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

What Kind Of Oil Does A 1994 Corolla Use?

by cloudplaya, March 30, 2009 in Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm

10w30 or 10w40?

10w30 or 5w30 are fine.

5w-30 and 10w-30 are all you really need. 10w-40 is OK if the ambient temperature is pretty high (Arizona for example) - though even then, it is a pretty heavy oil. Just look on the oil fill cap itself - most are stamped with the OEM recommended oil weight.

Have to balance oil protection and flow - thicker oils tend to protect parts better to a point, but running an oil too heavy, will lead to excessive engine loading (gas mileage will drop) and potentially starve bearings for oil (engine tolerances are pretty tight now). Plus oil technology has advanced so far - that running a lighter weight oil is not a problem any more. Still get good protection, good flow, reduced friction, and superior solvency.

5w-30 and 10w-30 are all you really need. 10w-40 is OK if the ambient temperature is pretty high (Arizona for example) - though even then, it is a pretty heavy oil. Just look on the oil fill cap itself - most are stamped with the OEM recommended oil weight.

Have to balance oil protection and flow - thicker oils tend to protect parts better to a point, but running an oil too heavy, will lead to excessive engine loading (gas mileage will drop) and potentially starve bearings for oil (engine tolerances are pretty tight now). Plus oil technology has advanced so far - that running a lighter weight oil is not a problem any more. Still get good protection, good flow, reduced friction, and superior solvency.

how much quarts do I need to put in?

With the filter - your generation of Corolla will take just about 4 quarts of oil. Easy way to do it, prefill the oil filter before you spin it on the engine. Add three quarts of oil right off the back - check the dipstick. Add the 4th quart about a little at a time (1/4 of a quart) until it gets to the "full" mark on the dipstick. Start car up, let it run for a few minutes - check for leaks. Shut it down, let it sit for a minute - recheck level, add if necessary. A little overfilled is OK - but too much, and you will really be putting too much strain on the engine / kill performance.

Bikeman982

I live in CA and can use 20W-50 synthetic oil.

I always add 3 quarts, then keep checking the dipstick to add when more is needed.

I live in CA and can use 20W-50 synthetic oil.I always add 3 quarts, then keep checking the dipstick to add when more is needed.
20w50 is WAY to thick! air cooled VW's use that, not liquid cooled modern engines.

iirc 4afe takes just under 4qts and 7afe takes just about exactly 4qts

My 95 with the 1.8L says 5w-30 on the oil cap. I have 230,000 miles. If I run synthetic..my oil is gone much sooner. So I just use regular. Certain oils seem to burn up faster. I drive the same way to and from work everyday. Some say use 5w-30 in the winter and 10w-30 in the summer.

I live in CA and can use 20W-50 synthetic oil.I always add 3 quarts, then keep checking the dipstick to add when more is needed.

20w50 is WAY to thick! air cooled VW's use that, not liquid cooled modern engines.

iirc 4afe takes just under 4qts and 7afe takes just about exactly 4qts

For the record:

My 1993 Corolla factory manual specifies 3.5 US quarts for 4A-FE 1.6L with filter change, and 3.9 US quarts for the 7A-FE 1.8L with filter change.

My manual for my 97 with a 1.6 states 3.2 quarts. I usually just add 3 quarts on a change.

My 1994 Corolla manual states 3.2q with filter for the 1.6 4AFE. I'm having a problem now with 2.5 q and filter showing full. No sludge, that I can see. default_smile

Topic List: Go to Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm