Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2004 Toyota Corolla Idle Problem

by grifff, March 18, 2009

Hi, the idle in my corolla is running low while in all gears(park, drive, neutral and reverse) it is running at about 500-600 on my tachometer. The car seems to shake a bit more while in idle, but i suspect this is because of the low RPM's. Im wondering if this is a problem I could fix or if I need to take it in. The car has 41K miles on it and has no other problems.

(I put in a K&N air filter for my 1.8L engine about 2 weeks ago and it has been running fine until now. I dont know if this is the problem though.)

Thanks for any help default_smile

Idle speed is set by the engine computer - so there really isn't anything you can "adjust" to bring it up. If this is something fairly recent - like after you installed a K&N filter on the car - then I would suspect some fouling of the MAF sensor or the throttle body itself.

Double check that the filter has not been over oiled (very common/easy to do) - check that the MAF sensor is clean. If there are any traces of oil on it - clean it with some throttlebody cleaner, alcohol, or non-clorinated brake cleaner. If the throttle body hasn't been cleaned yet - might be a good idea to give it a godo cleaning. There are several ways to do this - much of this information can be readily found online.

Also, it is a good idea to reset the ECM anytime you make a change to the car. This will allow the car to adapt to the new modification correctly, which I assume is what has not happened here (ECM say a difference in air volume from either the freer flowing filter or fouled MAf sensor, and adjusted engine parameters accordingly).

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)